Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Other Products >>> revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
TMA_80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

Hello everyone:

someone had to create this topic Wink

here are some links to see what's new in the conccurent products:

autocad 2010:
http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_weblog/2009/02/autocad-2010-wow.html

(download the preview guide)

revit 2010:

http://bimboom.blogspot.com/

on thing is sure, they've done a good job...i'm sure GS will too.

In revit, the panneling tool feature seems intresting ...parametric rules

[edit] i've created this topic then deleted it but it seems always available trough google searching , so ..i repost it...
with a little update: have a look at the autodesk press release especially the video presentation ( the second one )....

blobmeister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

WOW, i'm impressed. I really like the new freeform modeling tools. Since Autocad is always one release ahead of Revit, I assume Revit is getting subdivision surface modeling tools in the next release too.

This is great news Archicad. We are probably getting something similar this next release. After all, Archicad was the first with the advanced curtain wall tool.
Peter Clark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

Ha ha ha! Revit 2010 already!!!! Laughing We are barely into 2009! Why not call it 3010 or something really futuristic!

Anyway, I wouldn't form all your opinions from the reviews of an Autodesk marketing manager, and a Revit salesman! What else are they going to say? I'll be more interested to hear the views of real users once it's released in a month or so.

Bricklyne Clarence
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

blobmeister wrote:
This is great news Archicad. We are probably getting something similar this next release. After all, Archicad was the first with the advanced curtain wall tool.

.......how in the world do you figure that?

Revit 2009 got a brand spanking new Mental Ray renderer along with free-form modeling tools like the Sweptblend tool, and we're still stuck with Lightworks v0.25 and Nudge. The Curtain Wall in AC is great, but let's be frank, it's nowhere near what the new CurtainWall (or even the existing one) in Revit2010 or the subdivision Freeform modelling tools in AutoCAD, AUTOCAD 2010, can and will be able to do.

How is that keeping pace, or even competing?

....the great hilarity of it all is that in that same blog (the Revit3D blog) that was referenced to in this thread, if you scroll a bit further down, there's a poster who makes a kind of mocking warning to anyone considering switching to ArchiCAD by referencing this very Talk Forum and quoting some poor AC user lamenting the fact that ArchiCAD user wishes always seem to end up appearing in the next version of Revit rather than in any version of ArchiCAD.

How true. How so very true. And sad too.

He also makes some pointed, and clearly accurate observations of GSHQ's attitude (or apparent lack of thereof) in this perpetual slide they seem to have engineered themselves into.
ruivenda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

I had to agree here... Graphisoft continues to not develop Archicad has it supposed to be, and Autodesk, with all their's downsides, continue to develop greatly Revit.

Has so, I've used Archicad in the past, but not anymore, because it simply is to stick in the GDL objects, and so very limited compared with revit.

Course Revit has downsides, and Archicad has very good features, but I can live better without Archicad best features than without Revit freedom to model and to develop my designs.

It's sad, because I'm a MAC user and preferred Archicad, because AUtodesk doesn't have Revit for MAC, but even so I continue to believe more in Autodesk capabilities to develop Revit, than Graphisoft to develop Archicad. Archicad is losing badly for the competitors, and doesn't give any sign to change it...

Now I'm a much more happier BIM user with Revit.
Rakela Raul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

hold on guys, i just want the us lib fixd, relax Shocked

Seriously, looks nice and I feel some kind of envy and exploring desires again

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger   
therevitgeek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

there's a lot more information here on Revit Architecture 2010

it's almost a complete redesign, new UI, new conceptual design features, the poster's right, sketchup users & 3dsmax users for schematics are going to have a hard time coming up with reasons not to switch.

http://designerati.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/revit-2010-details-become-public/

i love both archicad & revit, but archicad has to keep up with other BIM products!
Harry M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

Hmmm... spline and sketch up like freeform modelling, built in Mental Ray renderer, certainly very compelling.
I doubt if Archicad will be able to match this in next release until the base code is chaged so should/will probably focus on workflow, teamwork and production. 95% of projects can still be done well in Archicad

Rakela Raul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

Quote:
95% of projects can still be done well in Archicad

it sounds like we need freedom modeling tools for 5% of the architectural projects ?

I would like to believe that.....i had in mind 1%

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger   
TurboGlider
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: revit 2010 and autocad 2010 Reply with quote

What are ArchiCad missing? There are one (or maybe two) things we need, a doubleslanted wall / roof, then you could do alot of the 'freeforms' we are using in the real world today. Why have the ability to create things that you couldn't built in reality in a BIM software??? Then you should use a 3d modelling tool, not a BIM software.
I would say that you could easily modell about 99.5% , if you know how ArchiCad works, of the buildings we are build in Sweden with ArchiCad standard tools, so the freemodelingtool, is that really that important?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Other Products >>> revit 2010 and autocad 2010 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: