Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ArchiCAD >>> how do i measure square footage in my building? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
laylool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

hi,
i need to measure the gross and net area of my building. what is the most efficient way to do this in archicad

Archicad 12
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

The Zone Tool is the one that can display area information. It can also be listed. You should probably use that one.
60 GB OCZ SSD + 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD
Win7-64 Home Premium ENG
AC13-AC18 (64-bit, latest build)
Rick Thompson
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

I normally select the floor slab and open the "Element Info" box.
npacella

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

I use a simple fill with the 'show area' toggled.
Norwalk, CT 06850
Acad 14, 3004 USA Full on an IMac Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 OS 10.6.7
fuzzytnth3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

The Zone tool in combination with Scheduling can preform the Gross and Nett areas calulations for you.

There is an option within the Zone tool to control it's behaviour so it will either calculate the nett or gross area.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger   
Arcadia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

I don't use Zone's at all as I have no need for them in the work i do and find them cumbersome. My solution for working out area's is to create a layer called "calcs" then use fills (color coded for different purposes if desired) drawn over the area's wanted (ie roof, overall building area, individual rooms etc). Then open the element information window from the palettes menu. When you click on the fill you get the area, perimeter etc. If you color the fills you can tell quickly if they need to be updated when something changes. Works for me anyway.
fuzzytnth3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

What you describe is how the Zone tool works as well. But by using Fills instead you loose some of the power of Zone tool particularly in this case where the original query was how to calculate the Nett and Gross areas.

The Zone tool can do this quickly for you as I have shown above. Whereas to do the same thing with the Fill tool requires editing all your Fills and creating a second set of Fills to calculate the Gross.

The Zone tool also has the benefit that it can feed information into Opening and Finishes Schedules which save time and effort. Whereas the Fill tool can't feed Room Names, Wall and Floor Finishes into schedules

Don't be scared of the Zone tool, embrace it and make it your friend Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger   
Arcadia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

Well that's all very well of course, but I don't need zones linked with room names or schedules or floor and ceiling finishes and ceiling hieghts etc. Like I said its cumbersome for my purposes when all I need to do is simply fill stretched over a particular area. It takes a couple of minutes to place the 3 or 4 that I need then i don't have to think about them again till I need the area's. Maybe one day I will really have a look at zones and see what I can do with them but other stuff is a higher priority for me at the moment.
David Maudlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

Arcadia wrote:
My solution for working out area's is to create a layer called "calcs" then use fills ... Then open the element information window from the palettes menu. When you click on the fill you get the area,...

The Fill Tool can show the area on the plan (check the "Show Area Text" box), and updates automatically as the fill is edited.

David

AC18 USA+MEP MacPro 2.66GHz Xeon Quad Core | 6 gb ram MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4 gb ram OSX10.9.4
Mark Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

I use either zones or the fill tool as mentioned in the above.

Fills work great for sub-areas within zones.

Don't forget slab areas and roof areas included in the 'schedules' are another under utilitized feature. Can quickly tally multi-story, multi area buildings.

Mark

ArchiCAD 12 2523 USA Full + 11, 10, 9 & 7, Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb OSX.4.11, HP T1100, Epson R1800

Mark R. Wallace AIA
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ArchiCAD >>> how do i measure square footage in my building? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: