Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ArchiCAD >>> how do i measure square footage in my building? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
fuzzytnth3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

Mark Wallace wrote:
I use either zones or the fill tool as mentioned in the above.

Fills work great for sub-areas within zones.

Don't forget slab areas and roof areas included in the 'schedules' are another under utilitized feature. Can quickly tally multi-story, multi area buildings.

Mark

Yeah but only Zones have the ability to efficently deal with Gross and Nett area calculations which was the original question asked by laylool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger   
Arcadia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

Quote:
The Fill Tool can show the area on the plan (check the "Show Area Text" box), and updates automatically as the fill is edited.

I actually hadn't noticed you could do that. What would be better is if you could get the Autotext function to pick up the area's of fills with different labels so you could display an area's table in the titleblock that updates automatically as you change the fill.

Is there any way of doing this?

Net & gross area's I guess is a zone tools issue. I personally don't need net area's just gross so its not an issue for me (assuming net area is area without walls?).

Rick Thompson
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

I already mentioned this above, but here is a screen shot. I think this is a sorely unused palette. If all you are after is square footage's, and no need to schedule it, all you have to do is keep it open, select the slab (or roof.. whatever).. and there it is. No fuss with fills and area text, updating etc.

Picture 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.8 KB
 Viewed:  192 Time(s)

Picture 1.png

Arcadia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

This is fine but doesn't work for me as the main house slab does not extend to the perimeter of the building but only to the inside edge of the wall cavity so the area of the slab is not the same as the overall building area.
Erich
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

Arcadia wrote:
I actually hadn't noticed you could do that. What would be better is if you could get the Autotext function to pick up the area's of fills with different labels so you could display an area's table in the titleblock that updates automatically as you change the fill.

Is there any way of doing this?

Yes, use a schedule with the criteria set to Fill and the layer where your area fills reside. This will give you the table. However, I don't think you can place it in a master layout, it will need to go sheet by sheet.

AC 16 4010, AC 18 3006
Mac OS10.9.4
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
Arcadia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: how do i measure square footage in my building? Reply with quote

I've just created a schedule for area's using fills and it seems to work quite well. Cheers.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ArchiCAD >>> how do i measure square footage in my building? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: