Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ArchiCAD >>> Black background vs. White background Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rob2218

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

I suppose you could say, "well...it's just a matter of getting used to it" but....the bottom line truth of the matter is that colors (unless your are color blind like me) on a black background can be seen much easier than colors on a white background.

For example, if you by mistake leave a small piece of a line, say 2" long and the line was drawn in pen yellow, guaranteed that the yellow is easier seen in "black" than in "white" background.

Again I understand, we all get used to drawing a certain way but there is a logic behind using a "black" background and it's not just because...."oh I like the way it looks better"....NO..it's because IT WORKS BETTER.
Braza
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

rob2218 wrote:
For example, if you by mistake leave a small piece of a line, say 2" long and the line was drawn in pen yellow, guaranteed that the yellow is easier seen in "black" than in "white" background.

I got your point Rob... But what if the line would be dark grey? Wink

I7/6Gb R/512Mb V-Vista64-AC12#2675
ArchiCAD Warehouse
ArchiTruques
owen
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

of course using Pen Sets it is possible to cater for both - even within the same file. You can just swap back and forth depending on personal preference (of course changing the Grid & Background colors is still manual)

owen sharp

Associate VDC Manager
RidleyVDC

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.9 | Since AC5
Peter Clark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

Being colourblind also, rather than black or white, I find a neutral colour like beige works well for me. It's comfortable on the eyes for long viewing periods, all colours stand out clearly against it (except beige of course!), and objects with a white background are clearly visible.

Random example image below!

symbolic_windows_walls.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.65 KB
 Viewed:  353 Time(s)

symbolic_windows_walls.jpg

Srinivas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

how about this piece of info from Krippahl

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=151635

Windows
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website SKYPE ID  LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
vistasp
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

I used to use a light greenish grey background during my AutoCAD days and it gave a lot of relief to my eyes. Maybe I should try that again but for AC. Will have to look at the pen-set carefully of course. Smile

Off-topic: Peter, your random image shows the FPCP in the section. Is this manually drawn or is there some setting I've missed?

http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
http://www.btsquarepeg.com

| AC 9 - 18 INT | Win7 x64 |
| i7 4770 | 16 GB | GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB |
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website   Facebook ID (Not full URL, just ID!) 
Stephen Dolbee
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

Back in the hand-drafting days I always used white paper. White background just seems natural.
GeNOS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

i loved black background in autocad days cos it was all colours.
now im on AC i use a white back ground and everything (all my pens) is set to black (no colors).. for that reason i use white back ground.. my plans are printed in black and white so i see no need to draft plans in anything but

Peter Clark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

vistasp wrote:
Off-topic: Peter, your random image shows the FPCP in the section. Is this manually drawn or is there some setting I've missed?

I manually drew it in. No secret setting I'm afraid! Smile

Stephen Dolbee wrote:
Back in the hand-drafting days I always used white paper. White background just seems natural.

GeNOS wrote:
my plans are printed in black and white so i see no need to draft plans in anything but

How do you guys deal with white cover fills? If you turn on Automatic Pen Color Visibility Adjustment to make these display in grey against a white background, does it not get confusing if you also have other elements deliberately shaded in grey?

owen
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Black background vs. White background Reply with quote

Peter Clark wrote:
How do you guys deal with white cover fills? If you turn on Automatic Pen Color Visibility Adjustment to make these display in grey against a white background, does it not get confusing if you also have other elements deliberately shaded in grey?

I generally have my background set to something like 95% rather than pure white so these can be seen. The only pen this can cause problems for is one of our greyscale pens at 90%, but this very rarely gets used anyway.

owen sharp

Associate VDC Manager
RidleyVDC

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.9 | Since AC5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ArchiCAD >>> Black background vs. White background All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: