Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> References >>> List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
goose724

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

It would be useful if we could start a geographical list of firms that currently use ArchiCAD in their offices.

This would benefit would be employees, soon to be graduates, potential clients, etc. that would like to seek out firms using BIM technology and specifically ArchiCAD.

I know there are ways in which some names can be found on this site (job boards, searching users by location) but these have their drawbacks and limitations (people not being specific in their locations and if they are individuals or indeed firms), but a consolidated, one stop place, list, with Firm Names and specific city, county, Locations would be ideal.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 GPUS
ArchiCAD 14
Peter Clark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

What were you thinking, an official list on the Graphisoft website, or a more informal list here in the forums?

I did recieve an email from Graphisoft UK recently regarding matching up students to local firms using ArchiCAD, so clearly at least in the UK they are thinking there is a some kind of need for 'matchmaking' between students and businesses. I don't see why a publicly accessable database wouldn't work in a similar way for other purposes.

goose724

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

Ideally an official list on the Graphisoft Website that could be accessed by anyone seeking firms using their software for whatever reason.

However, even an informal list here could work until an "official" list is compiled.

I'm fairly certain most people on this site are "proud" users of this software and see it as beneficial to their firms. Further, I know many of us use the fact that we use ArchiCAD and BIM technology in many of our bid proposals as sort of a selling point for our Firms as opposed to others.

That being said, wouldn't it be beneficial to be on an "official Graphisoft" list of ArchiCAD using firms? I would think so.

In terms of the the matching of students to firms, I am aware of this process, and we use it here in the States as well, hell, my current job is a product of that match making program between Graphisoft, local firms, and recent graduates/interns.

However, once you are out of that time frame (post graduation/intern), and thus able to use that program it is very difficult to find a firm in a said area that uses ArchiCAD. Again, being on an "official Graphisoft" list of ArchiCAD using firms would enable competent and skilled ArchiCAD users to seek out and find firms easier, thus enabling firms to hire more skilled workers from the start.

We use this software for a reason, why not officially broadcast the fact that we do in a spot where any potential client or employee could easily find? Seems rather logical to me.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 GPUS
ArchiCAD 14
Dennis Lee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea. First thing that came to my mind was an interactive map such as the google map - or even google earth. There could be some kind of a filter checkbox that you can turn on the map, and it will show a small icon on the map showing the location of an office that is using AC. Maybe when you move your mouse over the icon, there will be a pop up showing the number of employees, link to website, etc...

Just brainstorming... Smile

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

Since ArchiCAD 9
Laura Yanoviak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

goose724 wrote:
We use this software for a reason, why not officially broadcast the fact that we do in a spot where any potential client or employee could easily find? Seems rather logical to me.

I agree.

AC15 US (4056) AC16 US (4010) AC17 US (5019) on Mac OS X 10.8.4
Peter Clark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

I assume this would be fairly easy to do now if they wanted to. Every reseller would have the contact details of all the people they have supplied with a copy of AC. All it would take is for the resellers to organise a list.

It would also make it easy for potential clients and employees to check if a company is using a legal version of the software! Wink

I guess there must be reasons we haven't thought of why this hasn't been done yet.

Maybe it would confirm the true number of AC licences out there, which GS may want to keep close to their chest for various reasons.

It may also enable other software competitors to directly target all of Graphisofts existing customers and try to get them to convert by offering them 'special' deals.

I can see both advantages and dis-advantages of this idea. Personally, I like the idea of advertising that your business 'Proudly uses ArchiCAD'! Very Happy

Link

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

Peter Clark wrote:
It may also enable other software competitors to directly target all of Graphisofts existing customers and try to get them to convert by offering them 'special' deals.

This is the biggest issue in my experience. I have met very few ArchiCAD resellers anywhere in the world who are prepared to release any of their client details. They guard this information very, very carefully.

Even when you try to help their clients, as I do, 99% remain tight-lipped.

Cheers,
Link.

JohnStebbins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

We proudly post our ACTIVE users in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND ARIZONA and their URLs on our web site and we keep it updated (we get permission from our customers to make it known that they are proud ArchiCAD users): www.digitalvis.com/clientsites

Most of these firms are what we call "All ArchiCAD All the Time" meaning they use ArchiCAD practically exclusively for everything from SD to CDs.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger    
Dave Sanders

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

John,

I don't see my shop listed there... Did I ask you guys not to? If so, let me know and I'll join the list... May have instinctively said 'no' on a form... You know how I am. Laughing

Intel Core i7 3.70 GHz, 3.44 GB RAM, XP Pro SP3
Nvidia GTX 660
Samsung SSD's
Moji Puckett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... Reply with quote

JohnStebbins wrote:
We proudly post our ACTIVE users in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND ARIZONA and their URLs on our web site and we keep it updated (we get permission from our customers to make it known that they are proud ArchiCAD users)...

I wonder why BITE in the UK cannot list clients their then?

Peter Clark wrote:
...It may also enable other software competitors to directly target all of Graphisofts existing customers and try to get them to convert by offering them 'special' deals...

all I can say is, once you’ve used Archicad you can never go back Wink

I live and work in the UK, after learning to use AC at a firm in California, and am desperate to find a list of firms using AC in London and the surrounds. Since moving back to the UK 6 yrs ago I have had to use Autocad and, dare I say it, Vectorworks (which my good friend calls the Yugo of CAD softwares) interspersed with islands of sanity when I get private jobs and can use my beautiful Archicad (which I call the Aston Martin).

I know architecture is not about the software and I am certainly not a tech-head and love to sketch by hand still, but there is an element of joy when designing and producing documents with a partner like Archicad…and I want to be working with people that understand that joy.

Please GS, put together a list.

MacPro OS X 10.6.2
AC12.0 (intel)
2x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
3GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics w/ 256MB
1TB SAMSUNG HD103UJ hard drive
2x20" Dell displays
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> References >>> List of ArchiCAD using Firms.... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: