Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Sustainable Architecture >>> Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hugh Ravening

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

Any ideas how to approach the modelling of an insulating membrane like sisalation (an australian foil facing) or the bubble wrap type insulations like Aircell ?

Cheers,
Hugh

TZG_Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

Hugh Ravening wrote:
Any ideas how to approach the modelling of an insulating membrane like sisalation (an australian foil facing) or the bubble wrap type insulations like Aircell ?

With Sarking(Sisalation or Thermal Break)and if its just thermal foil, I will just exclude it from composite structure(it has very small thermal conductivity and the thickness is less than a mm) or if you are considering using high performance Sisalation, I would use "Override" option from EE setting's dialogue.

If you are considering Air cell-Insulation break, I will add new Building material and apply manufacturer's physical property. I will do some research and add couple of them into AUS template with next release.

If you need further assist, please forward your request to Graphisoft AUS and attention it to Kevin please.

Cheers,

sisl copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.53 KB
 Viewed:  386 Time(s)

sisl copy.jpg

Hugh Ravening

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin,

I am thinking that to create a Building material with a fixed R value (as opposed to a conductivity property which is applied to the appropriate skin thickness) you need to either set an override or you need to apply a specific quantity of W/mK to a predetermined thickness of the material to end up with the right R value.

Am I right in thinking you can only override the U (R) value of an entire composite in the Energy Model Review so this value cannot easily be added into the composite option except to just increase each element in the structure list by the value suggested by the mfr.

Cheers,
Hugh

TZG_Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

Hugh Ravening wrote:
Thanks Kevin,

I am thinking that to create a Building material with a fixed R value (as opposed to a conductivity property which is applied to the appropriate skin thickness) you need to either set an override or you need to apply a specific quantity of W/mK to a predetermined thickness of the material to end up with the right R value.

Am I right in thinking you can only override the U (R) value of an entire composite in the Energy Model Review so this value cannot easily be added into the composite option except to just increase each element in the structure list by the value suggested by the mfr.

That's right. From my experience, Most of Australian reference guides and manufacturers provide Thermal Resistance(R) of whole composite structure. Therefore using overriding entire structure would be good option in most cases.

Julesbuh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

Similar to U values, can other material information be linked to a material. For example links to embodied Carbon databases are emerging which should be linked by association.

If this isn't included as of yet, is there something in the pipeline to integrate this using the framework of BS EN 15804 (EPD's A1-D)

Pushing it either further, a timeline view would be very useful so you can attach date tags to items and also possibly begin to design using Lifecycle Analysis.

Any feedback of where the BIM industry is and likelihood and timescales (anticipated version) would be very handy.

mhoude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to add a new material in the ecodesigner database in the material catalog

thanx Question
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

I think it is.

At the following location:

"C:\Program Files\GRAPHISOFT\ArchiCAD 19 INT\Add-Ons\EnergyEvaluation\INT"

You will find a file called "MaterialCatalog.xml".

If you open it with Notepad or other text editing application you will see that its format is quite simple.
The Catalog is made up of Material Groups and each group may contain nay number of Material Definitions.
Just create a new "Material" row in the Material Group you want it to appear and set all its parameters, like Name, Density, etc.
I tried it and it worked for me. The new Material appeared in the proper group of the Material Catalog when I activated the Open Catalog button in the Building Materials Dialog.

You may have to restart ARCHICAD after making changes to the XML file because it may read the XML file at startup.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
mhoude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

What happen went we are on the teamwork if we modify on one working station
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner Reply with quote

I think what happens is that the newly defined Material Catalog items will be available on the machine where the modified XML resides. You would have to copy the file to the proper folder on all other machines for them to see those new entries in their Material Catalogs.

However, once you applied a Material Catalog item to a Building Material the proper fields of the Building Material are filled and that information, a Building Material being an attribute, is stored within the Project File. So anyone working with the Project file will work with the modified Building Material and anyone will be able to perform correct Energy Analysis.
The Material Catalog file is only needed when you select what values to fill out the fields of the Building Material with.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Sustainable Architecture >>> Materials catalogue in Ecodesigner All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: