Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIMx >>> Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kent Xiao

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

In android mobile/tablet, the model could be viewed with 3D cutplane. It's so strange this function could not be found in Bimx for windows system.
ryancjw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

i think the cut-plane function is on BIMx tablet only.
Perhaps you could include this function in the wishlist for desktop version.

Windows 7 Professional 64 SP1
Laptop: ASUS 56V, Intel i7 3610QM 8GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Treklis Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

I am very disappointed that there is no BIMx app for the Windows 8 tablets.
Running the BIMx viewer in windows does not compare to running the App as on Ipad or Android.
I want to be able to run ArchiCAD from my Windows 8 tablet (which I can) and then be able to show a client the BIMx model on the same tablet device.

Using the BIMx viewer is nowhere near as user-friendly as the App version and has limitations e.g 3D cutplane
Now with the release of the new BIMx Docs version, this is awesome but only available for Mac.

Graphisoft please make a Windows 8 BIMx app.
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

Toward the bottom of this page it says that Android version is coming in 2014:

http://www.graphisoft.com/bimx/

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM
28" (2560x1440), NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
500 GB NVMe SSD, WIN10 PRO ENG
AC13-AC21
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
Bricklyne Clarence
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

laszlonagy wrote:
Toward the bottom of this page it says that Android version is coming in 2014:

http://www.graphisoft.com/bimx/

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe his concern wouldn't be addressed with an Android version anyway.
Android is a separate OS platform from Windows 8 RT or Pro. Windows have their own OS from for tablets, which, I'm not sure if it's capable of opening regular Android Apps and files.
I know the desktop version (of Windows) doesn't open them (.APK's or .BIMX).

Which goes back to the point of why there would be no capability of using Hypermodels on the desktop viewer because Windows 8 Pro (for Surface Pro Tablets - which is what I believe he uses) opens regular Windows programs and files just fine on the Surface Pro Tablet.

But with no desktop version for the BIMx Hypermodel viewer, Windows Surface (RT or Pro) tablet users are stuck in a no-man's land as far as using or viewing BIMx Hypermodels regardless of Android availability.
Despite the fact that they will be able to generate and produce those same models from within ArchiCAD (also running on those same Surface Pro tablets.)
Treklis Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

Thanks Clarence, you are right my problem is not related to the Android version.
What we need is an App version that would run on a touch screen Windows 8 tablet device such as a Surface Pro or Sony Vaio (there are many on the market these days).

The desktop BIMx version works on my Windows 8 tablet device but does not have the touch screen interactivity such as the BIMx App version on an Ipad, making it very cumbersome to use. Also I cannot run a BIMx Docs version on the desktop version.

Graphisoft please put this on your wishlist as it affects our business and probably others.
I am sure you are thinking why now just buy an Ipad. We did look at this originally but we need a mobile tablet device that can run all our applications on our windows network and the Ipad cannot achieve this. The Windows 8 tablet ticks all the box's except a suitable BIMx solution.
Wokka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

Wow! I can't believe you can't run BimX on a Windows 8 tablet! Thats really ridiculous. Currently notebook pc with touchscreen has approx. 10% and is expected to grow to about 40% by 2017. I just purchased a Vaio for remote work and Bimx for clients. Is there no way to run a Bimx file?

refer (http://betanews.com/2013/11/27/touchscreen-notebooks-increase-in-popularity-but-why-why-why/)

www.3de.com.au

> Windows 7 Pro 64bit
> i7 CPU 920-2.67Ghz
> 6GB RAM
> ATI Radeon HD 5700

>ArchiCad 4.55>20 AUS
>Cinema 4D R18
>VRAYforC4D R1.9
Bricklyne Clarence
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

Wokka wrote:
Wow! I can't believe you can't run BimX on a Windows 8 tablet! Thats really ridiculous. Currently notebook pc with touchscreen has approx. 10% and is expected to grow to about 40% by 2017. I just purchased a Vaio for remote work and Bimx for clients. Is there no way to run a Bimx file?

refer (http://betanews.com/2013/11/27/touchscreen-notebooks-increase-in-popularity-but-why-why-why/)

Theoretically one should be able to run BIMx (The Desktop version) on an Surface Pro or a Tablet that runs Windows 8 Pro (not the table version which I believe they discontinued).

But I suspect you wouldn't be able to control it with the same ease as with the Android version or on the iPad, since Graphisoft haven't customized or re-purposed it for touch control.
I've always been curious about it since I think my next tablet might in fact be a Windows 8 tablet, and given the fact that a lot of notebooks and ultrabooks these days are coming with either Touchscreen functionality or are transformable into tablets.

Yes, it's a little ridiculous that there's no dedicated Windows 8 tablet version for BIMx, (much less BIMx Docs which isn't coming at all), but what are you going to do?
Wokka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

Bricklyne Clarence wrote:
Wokka wrote:

Theoretically one should be able to run BIMx (The Desktop version) on an Surface Pro or a Tablet that runs Windows 8 Pro (not the table version which I believe they discontinued).

But I suspect you wouldn't be able to control it with the same ease as with the Android version or on the iPad, since Graphisoft haven't customized or re-purposed it for touch control.
I've always been curious about it since I think my next tablet might in fact be a Windows 8 tablet, and given the fact that a lot of notebooks and ultrabooks these days are coming with either Touchscreen functionality or are transformable into tablets.

Yes, it's a little ridiculous that there's no dedicated Windows 8 tablet version for BIMx, (much less BIMx Docs which isn't coming at all), but what are you going to do?

Further to this, though I'll be doing some more experiments this weekend, if I plug in another monitor, BimX will play, but only on the attached monitor, not the touch screen... I wouldn't mind even just displaying on the notebooks screen if I need to use a mouse and disable the touch screen functionality...
More to follow I'm sure.....

www.3de.com.au

> Windows 7 Pro 64bit
> i7 CPU 920-2.67Ghz
> 6GB RAM
> ATI Radeon HD 5700

>ArchiCad 4.55>20 AUS
>Cinema 4D R18
>VRAYforC4D R1.9
4DArchitects

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane Reply with quote

For anyone finding this thread looking for how to run the BIMx Desktop Viewer on a Microsoft Surface Pro:

We tried to run the BIMx viewer on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. The viewer software installed without problem, but would not run. The cursor would change to indicate activity but the viewer nor the model ever appeared on screen. Graphisoft Tech Support provided the following solution of putting BIMx Viewer in Windowed mode which fixed the problem for us, and allowed us to bring up the model and navigate it normally, with a mouse and keyboard. The model is not setup for the Surface touch screen, and while it responds, it's impossible to navigate effectively.

To put BIMx in Windowed Mode:
    * Please start regedit.exe (you can search for that http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/search-apps-files-settings) and inside the registry editor please follow the settings in the attachment.

* HKEY Current User > Software > Graphisoft > BIMx

* Edit the Windowed entry Value, and change from 0 to 1.

* Close regedit. Restart BIMx viewer or open an BIMx model. The viewer should come up in a window which can be full screened or minimized just like any other windowed application.

Hope this helps someone else with this problem.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIMx >>> Why Bimx in Windows System don't have 3D cutplane All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: