Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Student Forum >>> Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d
View previous topic :: View next topic
ChristopherM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d Reply with quote

As the topic says how can I tell it to show me the object i select in 3d to show it in 2d ? it doesn't need to show me just the object, it can show me the whole project but have the objected selected...
alexwang32

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d Reply with quote

For a long time I struggled to select objects, but I just can't GRAB THEM. Either they just won't get selected or I get another object that I don't want. So I understand why you turned to 3D, it's easier to make a selection that way. But there's a problem in 3D... it's hard to move objects accurately on the x-y plane.

Before you go into 3D, try to play with the 2D window. There are different ways to select an object. There's the quick selection, which is convenient when selecting large area objects. But for a group small objects, you might want to draw a selection area ( it can be any shape, usually rectangle ).

Now, as for objects that's hard to grab, move your cursor around the objects, especially the corners, because that's where the 2D hotspots are located. Think of 2D hotspots as spots on the objects which you can grab with you hands.

Finally, if all fails, like you did, switch to 3D, select the object, and move it to the ArchiCAD Layer ( or any layer that contains no objects, the ArchiCAD layer is usually empty for the 2D window), then, using the Quick Layers, hide all layers, except for the one the object is on. This way the object you want to select will be the only object visible on the 2D window, select it, and make other layers visible again.

Unfortunately this seems to be the only way to select an object in 3D and then select it in 2D.
Wink

laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d Reply with quote

The following seems to work for me:

1. Bring up the Window\Palettes\Selections Palette.
2. Save the selected elements as a Selection.
3. Notice what their Home Story setting is (e.g. 1. Story)
4. Use the Project Map to navigate to that story in 2D.
5. Double-click the saved Selection to select them on the Floor Plan.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995

Last edited by laszlonagy on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stress Co.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d Reply with quote

alexwang32 wrote:
... I just can't GRAB THEM. Either they just won't get selected or I get another object that I don't want. ..

In plan, if you have multiple elements sharing a common point, you can
toggle through the objects but tapping the "TAB" key. Select more than one
object by "shift" clicking (shift click to de-select, too). If you have tracker
turned on, it will tell you there are Multiple elements.

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 1.17.40 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.51 KB
 Viewed:  511 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 1.17.40 PM.png

Mac OS 10.11.5
Processor: 3.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
ArchiCAD 21 (4022 USA Full)
billhood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d Reply with quote

Before you go into 3D, try to play with the 2D window. There are different ways to select an object. There's the quick selection, which is convenient when selecting large area objects. But for a group small objects, you might want to draw a selection area ( it can be any shape, usually rectangle ).
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Student Forum >>> Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: