Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Drafting Wishes >>> Hide edges on fills/polylines
View previous topic :: View next topic

What's your opinion about this wish?
Essential (5)
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Important (4)
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Average (3)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Not important (2)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not needed (1)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Average: 4.50 points
Total Votes : 24

jswims

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

Currently when 2D detailing, if I would like to draw a cut object, like a piece of wall, ceiling, glass, etc, I need to have a fill separate to the lines so I can show the cut edge.

It would be great if I could have the option to hide an edge on a fill (and a polyline while we're at it) so I didn't have to keep exploding fills just to delete an edge.

The image shows two fills, the lower one can be created as just one fill (it has edges) and the upper one has 3 lines and a fill. These extra elements wouldn't be necessary if it was possible to hide the edge of a fill.

Capture2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.59 KB
 Viewed:  458 Time(s)

Capture2.JPG

StorminNorman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

Hi jswims

I had the same problem, so I just included break lines in all of my sections with continuous elements. After all that is the correct drafting protocol, however it would be nice if one would have the ability of placing in a hidden line without exploding the hatch.

Maybe in version 18 that is possible. I don't know, but it would be nice if someone would chyme in and let us know if that is the case in the latest version.

Cheers, Noooooorm. Laughing

http://imperialstorage.com
Barry Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

No need to explode the hatch.
Just place a white line over the edge you want to hide.
Make sure the white pen is the same width as the pen you are trying to cover.
White does not print.

Or you have the option to use a line with a break line style or even a break line object if you have one.

Also in the section settings dialogue, in the 'Model Display' section you can change the boundary contours.
Any elements that pass beyond the edge of your section will take on the override you set at that edge - can be a solid line, no line at all or any line style override.

However I would still like the option to be able to 'Hide' any edge of a polygon - not just those passing beyond the edge of a section.

Barry.

Last edited by Barry Kelly on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
s2art

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

This would be handy for roof and slab elements too. You could hide an edge where two roofs meet and get around the "two-dotted-lines-that-become-one-single-line" issue. You could just have a warning if you were about to turn off the last visible edge.
AC20 5025 NZE
HP Envy Notebook + 27"
Intel i7-6500 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
DGSketcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

s2art wrote:
This would be handy for roof and slab elements too. You could hide an edge where two roofs meet and get around the "two-dotted-lines-that-become-one-single-line" issue.

Now that's a good reason!

Link

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

Barry Kelly wrote:

However I would still like the option to be able to 'Hide' any edge of a polygon - not just those passing beyond the edge of a section.

Agreed. And not just hide. How great would it be to be able to manually pick any edge in plan, section, elevation, 3D etc and change it's linetype and color.

This is one of the most commonly requested features, especially from ex-hand drafters IME.

Cheers,
Link.

laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

I think this is absolutely essential. This is one piece that would take us that much closer to producing perfect documentation without workarounds.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM
28" (2560x1440), NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
500 GB NVMe SSD, WIN10 PRO ENG
AC13-AC21
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
Matt Balaam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

Essential!

GS have already made it possible to do this in the Profile Editor in ArchiCAD 18 so they obviously know how to code a polyline with every edge customisable. You can turn each edge on or off and also change the pen individually for each edge. This just needs to be brought across to the general fill tool.

jakubc7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

Hoping to see this implemented in V19. GDL code for POLY fills allows for this ... I imagine it's quite possible to implement into the ArchiCAD without too much trouble.

As someone already mentioned ... same functionality for slabs / roofs / mesh etc would be helpful.

ESSENTIAL Smile

JC DESIGN AND DRAFTING
www.jcdrafting.com.au
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hide edges on fills/polylines Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is not going to be implemented in AC19 as far as I can tell.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM
28" (2560x1440), NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
500 GB NVMe SSD, WIN10 PRO ENG
AC13-AC21
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Drafting Wishes >>> Hide edges on fills/polylines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: