Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> References >>> Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations?
View previous topic :: View next topic
ccharleslee

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm a new AC user and a sole practitioner so I don't have experienced colleagues around to ask for help, and most of my professional network are autocad/revit users. While online resources such as this forum are useful, I would like to get a book with a well-referenced index as another source for answers. I recently purchased MacKenzie and Rendek's "AC19 The Definitive Guide": interesting but not as encyclopedic as I had hoped. Can anyone recommend a good go-to 'bible', even if for an earlier version? Many thanks!
Jeff Kogut

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

Welcome to the AC world! I, too, came from 'book learning' and AC has helped me embrace Help menu in AC and online resources. I'd suggest giving it a try, sometimes seeing the program in action is better than reading about it.

Jared Banks does an excellent job, check out his videos to see some advanced stuff. http://www.shoegnome.com/

Eric Bobrow is also well know and has many videos on Youtube. http://www.bobrow.com/

Check if there is a local ArchiCAD User Group in your area and attend.

Check out all the links on the Help menu in AC.

DGSketcher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

Try this...

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/

It will provide all sorts of useful answers from the manuals, videos and links to this forum.

You can also search youtube for "Archicad" plus any other feature e.g. "Morphs"

Karl Ottenstein

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

Not so useful for learning workflow and technique, but you also know that the reference manuals are all installed on your computer in PDF format?

In the ARCHICAD program folder, look in the Documentation folder. The Reference Guide is over 3600 pages long and has an index at the back and table of contents in the front....

ccharleslee

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

Thanks for the great feedback everyone, I am grateful for the replies and feel a little less alone. I will followup on all your suggestions.
Jeff Kogut

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

I did a write-up of how we've organized AC here, it may help you develop what works best for you.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=51465

Aaron Bourgoin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

This page has an interesting sampling of books on offer: http://www.graphisoft.com/learning/archicad-books/
View user's profile Send private message    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
NCornia
Graphisoft

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

Also, ArchiCAD 19 - The Definitive Guide by Scott H. MacKenzie and Adam Rendek - Available in paperback and Kindle e-book.

Best regards,

Follow us on Twitter
Graphisoft HelpCenter
Anton Kazmin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? Reply with quote

ccharleslee wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good go-to 'bible', even if for an earlier version? Many thanks!

I know the original poster asked for printed material, but I am curious, why we overlook excellent set of YouTube.com videos by Graphisoft themselves.

Far better than any printed material, in my opinion. It is comprehensive, covers all versions of ARCHICAD, always available, takes less physical space than a book, is much easier to carry (tablet anyone?) and is totally free....

One can read later after watching all the YouTube videos.

Here is the link to ARCHICAD YouTube Playlist

Raising the bar for Graphisoft Hall of Fame since v.16
Consulting | Training | BIM audit | Energy modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> References >>> Hardcopy AC User Guide recommendations? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: