Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Hardware >>> External ssd for 2010 iMac? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Don Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: External ssd for 2010 iMac? Reply with quote

Hi Karl:

After a lot of searching, I found this very detailed discussion on using an external SSD via Firewire 800. Lots of tech stuff and charts that I didn't wade through, but it generally said an external SSD would help a lot:
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/gonna-try-running-a-firewire-800-ssd-as-my-imac-boot-drive.2442921/

I do think my old iMac has slowed a bit with use and does need to be cleaned up, beyond Disk Utility. Defraging is not generally needed (so I read) not he current OS systems. I would be interested in GS thoughts on this. I think that once the file is loaded onto the SSD drive where the OS and Archicad reside, things can move quickly. I have yet to do detailed renders on the SSD, so maybe the read and write speed back and forth to the main CPU is not as much of a factor.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Hardware >>> External ssd for 2010 iMac? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: