Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Libraries / Library Parts / GDL >>> Number of panels in a garage door
View previous topic :: View next topic
Loren Green

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

Using door style 3 in the garage door only allows me to have 5 vertical panels per section. I have yet to drive by a garage door with more than 1 panel per section. What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way to put glass in all the sections, not just the top panel?

Loren Green

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

Is there anyone that knows what to do?
Steven Dumont
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

You can quite easily make a custom door leaf. Do you know how to do that?
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

AC21, latest hotfix, USA Full
Loren Green

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

I am busy trying to keep the lights on while I am switching from AECOSim Building Designer. I was hoping there was a better way. I regularly have many different heights and widths of doors. Some need 4 sections and some need 7 sections. It would be nice to not have to make one for each scenario.

I guess I will have to study up on it.

Does anyone actually have a picture of a garage door with 5 vertical panels in one section? Why is it programmed that way if I can't actually buy it that way?

Richard Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

It would helpful if you added your AC version to your signature. In AC20, at least, the number of sections is set at "Door Settings and Openings" and number of vertical panels per section is set at "Door Leaf and Handle." I'm not sure what the concern is here. On Garage Door 03, you only get one glass section.

You might find something better by importing a door from SketchUp, but I agree that the selection of garage doors leaves a lot to be desired. It would be great to have a full line of styles like: https://www.clopaydoor.com/residential-garage-doors

"The Kitchen Architect"
www.richardmorrison.com
AC21 (since AC6.0), Win10
Loren Green

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

"AC 20 Solo, Windows 10" is in my signature.

The vertical panes is greyed out and won't let me change it.See the attachment.

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.44 KB
 Viewed:  41 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

Loren Green

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

I may have started out with a favorite from another template. When I go to the 20 library I get 1 vertical pane. That is what I want. The problem is it is still greyed out. It also limits me to 5 sections.
Richard Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

Well, all I can tell you is that I have 1 vertical panel shown in the dialog where you have 5, and it is grayed out, too. I have no idea how you managed to get 5 in there. Have you checked to see if you have a library update available?
"The Kitchen Architect"
www.richardmorrison.com
AC21 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl Ottenstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

Loren,

Take a look at this article on how to make custom door leafs - as mentioned by Steven. It is the only reasonable solution for your needs if you need more glazing than one row, etc, as provided by the standard garage doors.

It's a pretty painless process:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/elements_of_the_virtual_building/parametric_objects/graphic_creation_of_custom_library_parts_and_components/creating_custom_components_for_doors_windows_curtain_walls/

You can model the door leaf/slab with any tools - typically slab tool with holes cut, but Morph works too. Thinner slab for the glazing, centered in the leaf slab. If you will generate drawings/renderings detailed enough to see it - profiled frames can be with the wall, beam or morph tools. Etc.

Try just a silly slab, the width/height of your door, and 2" or whatever thickness you want. Put some holes in it, save it as shown, and pull it into the garage door lib part as shown. That'll let you see how easy it actually is before you spend time making your real door leaf.

Loren Green

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of panels in a garage door Reply with quote

I figured out how to do it for the glass sectional overhead window I needed.
On the RV garage with 14' high doors I can get it out the door with 5 sections. I guess it is more of a construction question. How many panels would a garage door manufacturer use for that high a door?
If I model a new panel, do I also have to model the bevels?
If I save it as a new gsm can I then change the code to increase the section limit?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Libraries / Library Parts / GDL >>> Number of panels in a garage door All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: