Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Construction Wishes >>> Railing Wall tool - Railing tool
View previous topic :: View next topic

What's your opinion about this wish?
Essential (5)
79%
 79%  [ 19 ]
Important (4)
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Average (3)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not important (2)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not needed (1)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Average: 4.67 points
Total Votes : 24

xacto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

ArchiCAD needs to have a "Railing Wall Tool"
The current system is horrible, railings nowadays are complex and simple at the same time and should behave like walls do.
By the way, ArchiCAD needs to recognize that railings exists outside stairs too!!

Railings are used for many other structures, not just stairs!!!

Railings should be drawn up like walls, edit height, edit railing styles, even solid railings, should follow the terrain, stairs, floors, etc.

Railings should not be just an object from the library that one copies over and over to achieve offsets, turns, etc.

I am not asking for workarounds or opinions or your comments. This post is meant for ArchiCAD Graphisoft.

We are paying top dollar for this program!! Make it work like it is meant to!!

Stairs, Ramps, Decks, Landings, Porches, Patios, Balconies, Parapets, Guard Rails, Security Rails, Fences, just to mention some cases where railings are needed.

If these where drawn up as walls instead of individual objects, groups, etc, it would be faster, efficient, productive.

These railing walls should have all the features of "railings" styles, types, newels, posts, balusters, vertical, horizontal, and should also be intelligent enough to follow the surface inclination "angle" they are being drawn up over.

It would eliminate the ultra tedious work of the current single object oriented railing in the library.

One could create "Railing wall styles" just like we can create "Wall types" and save them for future use of per project.

In a single commercial project, the amount of different railings can overwhelm the designer, draftsperson modeling, copying, making favorites, layering, etc.

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
vgodzb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

I agree, a guardrail / railing / handrail tool would be a fantastic add especially when a new stair tool comes out.

I use the 3DMD Railing for now and complex profiles.
http://www.3dmediadesign.it/

xacto wrote:
ArchiCAD needs to have a "Railing Wall Tool"
The current system is horrible, railings nowadays are complex and simple at the same time and should behave like walls do.
By the way, ArchiCAD needs to recognize that railings exists outside stairs too!!

Railings are used for many other structures, not just stairs!!!

Railings should be drawn up like walls, edit height, edit railing styles, even solid railings, should follow the terrain, stairs, floors, etc.

Railings should not be just an object from the library that one copies over and over to achieve offsets, turns, etc.

I am not asking for workarounds or opinions or your comments. This post is meant for ArchiCAD Graphisoft.

We are paying top dollar for this program!! Make it work like it is meant to!!

Stairs, Ramps, Decks, Landings, Porches, Patios, Balconies, Parapets, Guard Rails, Security Rails, Fences, just to mention some cases where railings are needed.

If these where drawn up as walls instead of individual objects, groups, etc, it would be faster, efficient, productive.

These railing walls should have all the features of "railings" styles, types, newels, posts, balusters, vertical, horizontal, and should also be intelligent enough to follow the surface inclination "angle" they are being drawn up over.

It would eliminate the ultra tedious work of the current single object oriented railing in the library.

One could create "Railing wall styles" just like we can create "Wall types" and save them for future use of per project.

In a single commercial project, the amount of different railings can overwhelm the designer, draftsperson modeling, copying, making favorites, layering, etc.

Gerald Hoffman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

Absolutely. This really is a no brainer and one area that ArchiCad has been deficient for a long time if we include the Stair Tool.

"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC

(AC 18-9019) USA Cigraph ArchiSuite, CadImage Suite (AC 19-7006) (AC 20-6005) CadImage Suite
MacBook Pro OS X 10.12.3 - 2.5 Ghz i7, 16 GB RAM + 27" Apple Display
philips

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

Absolutely. Nearly every building has a railing / fence, some of them are quite complex. Without a tool for those AC is not helping users and itself.
s2art

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

Cadimage's Stair Tool has an independent railing option too. I know it costs money, but might be worth a look.
Cadimage wrote:
With Cadimage Stairs, you have access to a range of individual components that allow for highly flexible stair configurations for both residential and commercial designs.

Railings can be associated with stairs, slabs or even stand-alone, so that stairs can easily wind at varied widths and heights and open on to landings. Stair assemblies can be edited, labelled and output as if they were a single object.

AC20 5025 NZE
HP Envy Notebook + 27"
Intel i7-6500 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
sliecins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

I found them in Archicad 20 under 'Object Tool' -> '1. Basic Library' -> '1.4 Building Structures' -> 'Fences and Railings'
Constantin Cozma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

Have you seen the Profile Builder plugin for Sketchup? It can basically create any composite structure including railings. Archicad Complex Profile tool needs to behave like this. It should be able handle arrays of sub-objects and materials.

I have posted a wish similar to yours but based on Complex Profiles. What do you think? I also believe this would a very important upgrade.
Barry Kelly

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

Your wish has been granted in version 21.

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Barry.

Constantin Cozma

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

Yes, it seems the wish has been granted Smile

I wonder if it can be used for other creative purposes. Maybe generating wall frames and claddings? If it has angle parameters maybe even for roof structures.

ejrolon

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Railing Wall tool - Railing tool Reply with quote

Yes it can and it is linked to the mesh, wall, slab that it is placed so that if it changes then it updates.
Roofs I am not sure.

AC21US -> AC08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Construction Wishes >>> Railing Wall tool - Railing tool All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: