Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> NBS Building add-on Mac Version?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Neil Sayer
New member
New member

Joined: 01 Dec 2003
Posts: 5
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

Hi does anybody know if there is an add-on for NBS Building to ArchiCAD 16 Mac version? or is anybody working on one?

I have seen the PC version.

ps. it seems there is a free add-on for Revit on the NBS web site
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Ralph Wessel
Senior member
Senior member

Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 1492
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

Neil Sayer wrote:
Hi does anybody know if there is an add-on for NBS Building to ArchiCAD 16 Mac version? or is anybody working on one?

Encina Ltd developed the NBS add-on, and we do have a Mac version (we're big Mac fans). Unfortunately it isn't much use at this point because NBS itself is Windows-only. If anyone would like a Mac version, the first step is to contact NBS and request genuine Mac support (I say 'genuine' because they might suggest running Parallels et al., which is about as supportive as applying bandaid to a broken leg).

_________________
Ralph Wessel
Cadimage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
A Murray
New member
New member

Joined: 28 Jan 2016
Posts: 6
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

We are looking for a Mac version of the NBS tool

We don't need the fancy back and forth changes that can be made with the PC NBS tool but a more limited tool that can read a .spec file or exported .txt file and use it to label details. Does anyone offer anything similar? The masterspec tool for Mac looks like what we need but for .spex .csv .xml or .txt

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Ralph Wessel
Senior member
Senior member

Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 1492
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

A Murray wrote:
We are looking for a Mac version of the NBS tool
We don't need the fancy back and forth changes that can be made with the PC NBS tool but a more limited tool that can read a .spec file or exported .txt file and use it to label details. Does anyone offer anything similar? The masterspec tool for Mac looks like what we need but for .spex .csv .xml or .txt
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Take a look at our Keynotes tool. This can import csv or txt files, label elements, audit existing labels (when the specification data changes) and produce keynote schedules for layouts. Labelling can also be linked to attributes, e.g. specification references can be associated with a specific material, composite etc.

_________________
Ralph Wessel
Cadimage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
DGSketcher
Active member
Active member

Joined: 22 Jul 2011
Posts: 478
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

I keep sending emails to NBS for mac support for all their products but when not ignored the usual response is to use windows enabling software. Evil or Very Mad You would have thought such an influential organisation might have realised how many mac users there are by now Rolling Eyes
_________________
Apple iMac MacOS Sierra / AC21UKI (most recent build)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
A Murray
New member
New member

Joined: 28 Jan 2016
Posts: 6
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

Ralph Wessel wrote:

Take a look at our Keynotes tool. This can import csv or txt files, label elements, audit existing labels (when the specification data changes) and produce keynote schedules for layouts. Labelling can also be linked to attributes, e.g. specification references can be associated with a specific material, composite etc.


Thank you. We will give your keynotes tool a try. Also we will try labelling materials and components with NBS references. Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Jim Allen
Guest
Guest

Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 1
Location: Wales, UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

I haven't seen the Windows version, so I don't know what it does, however the point about not making a a Mac version because there isn't a version of NBS for it seems fair actually.

What also seems reasonable, is for NBS to consider building a web-based version of Create, which runs in a Browser, doesn't require installation or regular updating, runs independently of any OS, and can link to a BIM application for annotation.

BIMObject have an Add-In that links to and embeds content from the web, why shouldn't NBS do that?

Surely running in a Browser would simplify Support significantly?

It would hugely simplify running and maintaining NBS Applications for users and System Administrators.

Failing that, a Mac version that reads the Specification file might be all that is required. As a subset of the Keynotes tool (which is too expensive for many for a monthly subscription) tailored specifically to NBS, this should be okay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message    
Ralph Wessel
Senior member
Senior member

Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 1492
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

Jim Allen wrote:
What also seems reasonable, is for NBS to consider building a web-based version of Create, which runs in a Browser, doesn't require installation or regular updating, runs independently of any OS, and can link to a BIM application for annotation.

There are examples of this in commercial use, and we've developed a link to one of them already for Masterspec. This couples your ARCHICAD project (via Keynotes) to the live content of a cloud-based specification. It would be fantastic to have the same capabilities for NBS.

_________________
Ralph Wessel
Cadimage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    
PB
Junior member
Junior member

Joined: 03 May 2006
Posts: 168
Location: France UK Senegal

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

Ralph Wessel wrote:
Jim Allen wrote:
What also seems reasonable, is for NBS to consider building a web-based version of Create, which runs in a Browser, doesn't require installation or regular updating, runs independently of any OS, and can link to a BIM application for annotation.

There are examples of this in commercial use, and we've developed a link to one of them already for Masterspec. This couples your ARCHICAD project (via Keynotes) to the live content of a cloud-based specification. It would be fantastic to have the same capabilities for NBS.


Add my vote for a Mac native (browser, or other...) nbs interface: Their tight-lipped refusal to consider anything other than running Windows on an emulator is infuriating.

I understand that the RIBA owns NBS:The Windows only criteria would seem to unfairly (unethically) privilege one company (Microsoft) over its competitors (Apple, Linux)...

Furthermore, a disproportionately large proportion of architects work on Macs: Surely the RIBA is aware of this?

_________________
La vie est Belle !
AC21.
Retina MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 16GB 750GB SSD, OS X High Sierra, 30" ACD. iPad & iPhone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
PB
Junior member
Junior member

Joined: 03 May 2006
Posts: 168
Location: France UK Senegal

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: NBS Building add-on Mac Version? Reply with quote

In fact, given that this is a constant thorn in our side, I shall pen (type) a communication directly to the RIBA president & Board.

May I suggest that as many of us Mac based UK ArchiCAD users as possible do the same...?

_________________
La vie est Belle !
AC21.
Retina MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 16GB 750GB SSD, OS X High Sierra, 30" ACD. iPad & iPhone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Display posts from previous:   
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> NBS Building add-on Mac Version? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Copyright 2012 - Graphisoft SE. All rights reserved worldwide. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy