Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> General Wishes >>> Real NURBS Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic

What's your opinion about this wish?
Essential (5)
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
Important (4)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Average (3)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not important (2)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not needed (1)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Average: 5.00 points
Total Votes : 11

Constantin Cozma

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

I dont even know if this is possible with current GDL structure but this would be the obvious step especially now with the new Rhino, Grasshopper- Archicad connection. Right now the curvatures are simplified polylines which cannot meet real construction purposes. DWG export is also affected by this because floorplan views cannot export curves, splines, circles, arcs.
I just saw a preview of Archicad 20 and there will be a new option to further smoothen the imported geometries. I am curious about it but still i dont think it can replicate real Nurbs and probably will make geometry really heavy.
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

That preview you saw are real NURBS, since NURBS are now implemented into GDL in ARCHICAD 20. However, NURBS modeling is at this moment still not implemented in ARCHICAD modeling with construction elements.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
philips

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

laszlonagy wrote:
That preview you saw are real NURBS, since NURBS are now implemented into GDL in ARCHICAD 20. However, NURBS modeling is at this moment still not implemented in ARCHICAD modeling with construction elements.

Does this mean that NURBS are now new GDL commands and it will be possible to write with text an object with real NURBS ?
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

Yes, there are new NURBS commands in GDL. See my answer in the other thread:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=255028&highlight=#255028

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
Constantin Cozma

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

laszlonagy wrote:

Thats sounds great if this is the future! So the imported objects are real NURBS but just the graphic appearance can be adjusted from segmentation to smoothness? I see that initially the surface is still like a faceted mesh and changes with the new settings.
Wil we be able to convert any surface from Rhino, Grasshopper into a morph and not just meshes?
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

OK, so, I don't know if NURBS will be implemented in ARCHICAD modeling as well in the future, I just hope it will be as it would open a lot of modeling capabilities for the program.

About the smoothness of the NURBS surfaces: So, this NURBS topic is rather new to me but if I look at the NURBSBODY GDL command what I can see is that internally the NURBS curves and surfaces are defined as real NURBS curves and surfaces and just for display purposes there is a smoothness parameter that can be set to different smoothness levels. Then, based on the smoothness level GDL approximates the NURBS surfaces and creates the triangulated surface. How well the triangulation approximates the real NURBS surface is based on the smoothness setting. This is what you could see in that clip.
But the point is that internally these are really defined as NURBS curves and surfaces.

The NURBS GDL Object can be converted to a Morph but the resulting Morph will become tessellated based on the current smoothness setting of the NURBS GDL Objects. Although the curves will be correctly replicated by the Morph, its edges and surface will not have NURBS intelligence (since NURBS is not implemented in ARCHICAD 3D modeling, only in GDL).

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
Constantin Cozma

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

I`m just wondering, how difficult would it be to completely switch to nurbs modelling and display in GDL as well as for the construction elements? Would it require to completely re-write the whole modelling and display engine?
I am not saying that everyone needs to design and fabricate complex double-curvature surfaces but at least to be able to use splines in extrusion profiles and paths, for PRISM, TUBE, etc
I don`t quite understand the current NURBS implementation in GDL, since they cannot be used in the modelling and they don`t even display as such. Is like the information is there but you cannot use it. Or they are just the first step towards something bigger...

arqrivas

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

Constantin Cozma wrote:
I`m just wondering, how difficult would it be to completely switch to nurbs modelling and display in GDL as well as for the construction elements? Would it require to completely re-write the whole modelling and display engine?
I am not saying that everyone needs to design and fabricate complex double-curvature surfaces but at least to be able to use splines in extrusion profiles and paths, for PRISM, TUBE, etc
I don`t quite understand the current NURBS implementation in GDL, since they cannot be used in the modelling and they don`t even display as such. Is like the information is there but you cannot use it. Or they are just the first step towards something bigger...

Same thinking here, I also hope they are working on something bigger, ARCHICAD is the only BIM software that is using segments instead of real curves so far, if I'm not wrong. This is a long wish for me, I am not working on organic building shapes, but the segmentation affects me on the modeling and documentation of the projects.

laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Real NURBS Modelling Reply with quote

I think changing your 3D Engine from this segmented approach to a NURBS-based approach is a pretty big development task which takes years to do.
But the fact that NURBS are in GDL (in some form) gives me hope that GRAPHISOFT maybe has further plans of incorporating these types of geometries more deeply into ARCHICAD.

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> General Wishes >>> Real NURBS Modelling All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: