Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Best format for topographic data?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Max Cedercreutz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Best format for topographic data? Reply with quote

Hi!

I was asked to produce an Archicad compatible 3D terrain model for a client. Now all the tutorials on the web focus on creating "site models" from "surveyors data", that is from 3D points. Since I have the original data (a dense grid), i could do the meshing better than the Archicad mesher could. Also it would be inconvenient for the client to have to do that extra step (meshing). What format could i deliver a mesh in so that the client could easily use it as a 3D site model with minimal extra work. I do not have Archicad, but I can produce most file formats (dxf/obj/stl etc..) except proprietary ones.

Rephrasing: What format would you like to receive 3D topography in?

Thanks!
David Maudlin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best format for topographic data? Reply with quote

Max:

The problem with delivering the topography a in these other formats (dxf/obj/stl etc.) is that the terrain will come in as a fixed Object that cannot be edited, not an editable Mesh. It would be best to provide a text or XYZ file that can be used with the Place Mesh from Surveyor's Data... command which will create an editable Mesh. The help center guide is here: Other Formats Opened by ARCHICAD.

David

AC21 USA+MEP iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram MacBook Pro 2.5GHz | 16 gb ram OSX10.10.5
Max Cedercreutz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best format for topographic data? Reply with quote

Thank you David.

This is what i wanted to avoid, but if it's the only way then that is how it is.

-Max
David Maudlin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best format for topographic data? Reply with quote

Max:

Either method utilizes some sort of import command, so from the user's point of view the effort would be similar (import and convert to Object, or open txt file and convert to Mesh). So I don't think the user is being burdened this way. Good luck.

David

AC21 USA+MEP iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram MacBook Pro 2.5GHz | 16 gb ram OSX10.10.5
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best format for topographic data? Reply with quote

I don't remember where I have seen this but I think it may be possible for the architect to use the Rhino-Grasshopper-AC Connection to solve this issue.

He gets the point file from you and he can use the Place Mesh from Surveyor Data command to generate a Mesh from it.

Then he can get the geometry of the Mesh to Rhino with the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection.

I think Grasshopper includes capabilities to take such a geometry and slice it with horizontal planes, thereby obtaining Mesh Level Polylines at specified intervals.

Then Grasshopper may be able to generate a new Mesh into ARCHICAD from those obtained Mesh Level Polylines.

This is the theory but you would have to try it because I haven't had the chance to try it myself.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Best format for topographic data? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: