Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Solibri Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
felcunha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Solibri Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm experiencing issues on reading the material thickness in Solibri, from .ifc models exported from Archicad 21.
When opened in Solibri, the thickness are shown as 0 if the model is exported as Extruded/revolved with jonctions.
If the model is exported without jonctions the thickness are shown correctly.
I've tested with IFC2x3 et IFC4.

In AC20 the model shows ok.

felcunha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

So I think no one has a solution...
Please could you guys from Graphisoft address it as a bug ?

Thank you,

jameshart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

I am having this problem today too, it is affecting nearly every exterior wall on the first floor (but not the floors above.)

The affected walls are often exactly the same composite as non-affected walls.

It is even affecting two adjacent walls that are exactly the same in ArchiCAD, but when viewed in Solibri the thicknesses are shown as 0.

Please see the attached screenshots. The IFC file shown in the attached screenshots was exported using the translator "Data Exchange with Revit Structure."

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_1-web.jpg
 Description:
The wall in ArchiCAD, with it's settings.
 Filesize:  426.21 KB
 Viewed:  36 Time(s)

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_1-web.jpg

jameshart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

Attachment #2

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_2-web.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  430.54 KB
 Viewed:  31 Time(s)

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_2-web.jpg

jameshart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

Attachment #3

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_3-web.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.39 KB
 Viewed:  38 Time(s)

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_3-web.jpg

jameshart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

Attachment #4

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_4-web.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.25 KB
 Viewed:  33 Time(s)

IFC-Problem-Screenshots_Page_4-web.jpg

dkovacs
Graphisoft

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

Hi,

It is a common issue with IFC export. The problem is that with the current IFC standards we can only export thickness for composites if we save the Walls as "ifcWallStandardCase". This Element type can't have any kind of special geometry (slanted, certain cut types, empty skin, etc.). This raises problems in many cases.

And this exact case is one of them. The wall that can display thicknesses properly only collides in the upper parts, and this is a kind of exception that the Element type can tolerate (it is an extruded shape). The one on the corner though, also collides with the wall that's perpendicular to is (since it is on a corner) and that combined with the upper cut results in a geometry that's not compliant with this standard, so it will not have thickness values (and if solibri can't find a value, it displays zero, which might be misleading).

We are working on improving this behavior in the next main version. Until then if having these values in each element is crucial, you can go with exporting without junctions.

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com
jameshart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

This is very helpful, thank you Daniel!

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I was out at a conference last week, I thought I had sent this reply before I left!

The walls aren't slanted, and those particular walls don't have an airspace in the composite, so the problem is the SEO at the top of the wall?

And you said
Quote:
"Until then if having these values in each element is crucial, you can go with exporting without junctions."

I'm not totally sure what this means, can you please elaborate? I've tried looking at this link, but it's a bit ambiguous. Does "without junctions" mean that all exported geometry is exported without it's SEO or Roof Trims?

Thanks again for all your help Daniel!

laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

I think Daniel meant the following option in the Geometry Conversion Options Dialog of the IFC Translation Setup Dialog.
See it in attached image.

Also, the description of the field and its options is available on this page:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/interoperability/archicad_file_types_opened_by_archicad/file_types/importexport_settings-2/#1180748

IFCExport-GeometryConversionOptions-ElementsWithJunctions.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.14 KB
 Viewed:  24 Time(s)

IFCExport-GeometryConversionOptions-ElementsWithJunctions.png

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
jameshart

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Sol Reply with quote

Thanks Laszlo,

Yes, I understand that is the option Daniel is referring to, and that is the article that I read, but the term "junction" is hardly defined (which is why I am confused.) I'm just trying to understand the implications of going with "Extruded/Revolved Without Junctions" as Daniel suggested.

The article says "... without junctions that is, without the priority-based intersections..." So it's talking about the priority-based intersections as described in this help center article?

Has anyone used this option with their structural engineer, and was the structural engineer ok with this?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Issues when reading material thickness from walls in Solibri All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: