Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Construction Documentation >>> Graphic override composite fills of new walls only
View previous topic :: View next topic
Eric Batte

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm trying to achieve something that doesn't seem possible (as usual).

See attached. My goal is to override the fills of ONLY new walls on A-WALL-FULL to have a solid grey fill, EXCEPT walls that are using the two fills specified in the rule.

There doesn't appear to be a way to restrict it to only new walls.

I could create a custom Property and use that to classify the walls and apply the GO rule, but that adds an extra step for the user that I want to avoid.

MORE DETAILS:

Our company standard is to graphically depict 2 of our most common interior partition types with the striped fills you see in my screenshot.

Our other standard is to show existing elements with grey lines and fills, while new elements would be shown with black lines and fills. This makes the new work obvious when looking at our drawings.

Our old method for doing this involved having separate partition types (wall composites) for remodeling projects with alternate fills. I'm trying to remove the alternate partitions from our workflow by utilizing G.O. to handle this instead.

So, I'm not opposed to some lateral thinking to achieve my real goal if G.O. are too limited for what I'm trying to do.

Graphic_Override_Rules_and_Graphic_Override_Combinations_and_Template__Changes_in_Progress___server_mga_mgarchitects_com_-_BIM_Server_20__User__Eric_Batte_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.76 KB
 Viewed:  67 Time(s)

Graphic_Override_Rules_and_Graphic_Override_Combinations_and_Template__Changes_in_Progress___server_mga_mgarchitects_com_-_BIM_Server_20__User__Eric_Batte_.jpg

Eric Batte

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

To sort of answer my own question, here's my workaround:

Set Renovation Override for NEW cut fills to swap the foreground and background colors. This causes the stripes to invert (same difference) and the walls with white fills to change to grey fills.

Anyone have a better idea?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), 8 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.11.3, 27" Thunderbolt Display
Richard Morrison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

You might want to play around with the "Show on Renovation Filter" criterion in the "Identification" section of the Criteria for Rules. It was broken before, but I believe is supposed to be fixed now. You could even create a renovation filter that was just for "New" objects only, if it helps.

I'm not sure why you're running so hard from using a distinct Property for these walls. Yeah, I know, you don't want to burden your staff with a few extra seconds to tag these walls with a property, but they could be ALREADY tagged in your Favorites, so they wouldn't have to think AT ALL! Wink

"The Kitchen Architect"
www.richardmorrison.com
AC21 (since AC6.0), Win10
Eric Batte

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

I actually did try the "show on renovation filter" option and the result wasn't what I needed, although I can't remember exactly what the result was.

And I've pretty much given up on favorites because after all these years of favs being so primitive, I'm not happy with the limitations and the way the new interface was implemented.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), 8 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.11.3, 27" Thunderbolt Display
Richard Morrison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

Eric Batte wrote:

And I've pretty much given up on favorites because after all these years of favs being so primitive, I'm not happy with the limitations and the way the new interface was implemented.

Wow, you're a tough customer. Maybe you could say more what your problem is with favorites. I'm actually finding them to be pretty slick, and can't imagine what they might be lacking.

"The Kitchen Architect"
www.richardmorrison.com
AC21 (since AC6.0), Win10
Eric Batte

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

Make a folder of favs with 6 toilets, each with different specs. and try to describe the differences between each graphically and/or with words, then you'll start to see what I don't like about it. When there are many favs that are similar, it quickly becomes cumbersome to visually discern the differences.

We need the ability to have custom icons and/or extra text info so we can add info that's useful to users.

There are other things I wish were better, too, like being able to push favs to all users by force rather than depending on each user to manually reload. The BIM Server should be capable of doing things like that as it can with Libraries. In fact, Favorites should and could be directly associated with libraries in a sophisticated way that would make them much more useful.

I'm getting off topic, now...

I complained thoroughly during the beta test last year Wink

Last edited by Eric Batte on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barry Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

Post moved to "Working in Archicad".

Barry.

laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

Eric Batte wrote:
Make a folder of favs with 6 toilets, each with different specs. and try to describe the differences between each graphically and/or with words, then you'll start to see what I don't like about it. When there are many favs that are similar, it quickly becomes cumbersome to visually discern the differences.

We need the ability to have custom icons and/or extra text info so we can add info that's useful to users.

There are other things I wish were better, too, like being able to push favs to all users by force rather than depending on each user to manually reload. The BIM Server should be capable of doing things like that as it can with Libraries. In fact, Favorites should and could be directly associated with libraries in a sophisticated way that would make them much more useful.

I'm getting off topic, now...

I complained thoroughly during the beta test last year Wink

Eric,

Make these items into separate Wish posts, so we can vote for them. If they are supported by users by their votes, we can submit them to GRAPHISOFT.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Graphic override composite fills of new walls only Reply with quote

Eric,

The "Renovation Status" parameter of elements is now available as Graphic Override Criterion in the Graphic Override Rules Dialog of ARCHICAD 21:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/archicad/archicad-21-small-improvements/#Use_Renovation_Status_as_Criterion_in_Graphic_Override_Rules

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Construction Documentation >>> Graphic override composite fills of new walls only All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: