Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Construction Documentation >>> Temporary dimensions Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
thompsonmp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

I just thought I'd resurrect this rather than start a new thread.

Is there an equivalent to temporary dimensions or an equivalent? It's something that I miss.

E.g. If I have a window that is 1543 from a corner of the wall, in revit I'd select the window and type 1200 to make it 1200 from the wall.

In archicad I'd select the window and move it 343 in the right direction.

This is fine for simple differences but I did find it a lot quicker and easier being able to edit temporary dimensions (or when dimensions on a dimension line become temporary when the object is selected).

If there is not a current function within archicad, does it have potential for future consideration? I think it would be a useful addition to Archicad

Brett Brown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

Yes I wish Archicad had temporary dimension like Revit and Chief Architect. Easiest way to do that in Archicad is to select window, drag to the corner and type R 1200 minus enter as said previously. No mental arithmetic needed. cheers
thompsonmp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

Thanks Brett, that's the other variation of what I do.

Is it a wishlist item?

Link

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

When about to place the window, hover on the corner and type X1200+ and hit enter. I think of the + as meaning relative to where the cursor is. You can also input X-1200+ to go left (-X). Similar for Y. Pretty quick once you get your head into it.

Cheers,
Link.

Boost your ARCHICAD skill with your very own ARCHICAD Expert! ArchiBOOST!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website   Facebook ID (Not full URL, just ID!) LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
runxel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

Link wrote:
When about to place the window, hover on the corner and type X1200+ and hit enter. I think of the + as meaning relative to where the cursor is. You can also input X-1200+ to go left (-X). Similar for Y.

Or even easier: just always put the plus or minus behind the number, if you want it to be relative. If it is in front, it's absolute.

thompsonmp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Tips like those are a massive help

Speaking of + and -, can you input formulas in Archicad?

I used to enter e.g =235+568+1392 into dims/temporary dims in revit or more complex formulas. Typing imperial dimensions in whilst working in metric proved handy sometimes too

Link

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

runxel wrote:
Link wrote:
When about to place the window, hover on the corner and type X1200+ and hit enter. I think of the + as meaning relative to where the cursor is. You can also input X-1200+ to go left (-X). Similar for Y.

Or even easier: just always put the plus or minus behind the number, if you want it to be relative. If it is in front, it's absolute.

But that's relative to the origin right? So you'd need to set the user origin first?

thompsonmp wrote:
Thanks guys. Tips like those are a massive help

I used to enter e.g =235+568+1392 into dims/temporary dims in revit or more complex formulas. Typing imperial dimensions in whilst working in metric proved handy sometimes too

No equations, but you can enter imperial dimensions as decimals.

Cheers,
Link.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website   Facebook ID (Not full URL, just ID!) LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
runxel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

Link wrote:

But that's relative to the origin right? So you'd need to set the user origin first?

Nope :) (and a little bit yes)
Doing this will actually set the user origin temporarily to the point where your cursor is at that point.

thompsonmp wrote:

Not at the moment, but I think there was a wish already somewhere here.

sinceV6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

thompsonmp wrote:
I used to enter e.g =235+568+1392 into dims/temporary dims ...

You can, after either hitting X, Y or R (and result will depend on what you use), keep using "+" or "-" after each number.

When moving something, you would CTRL-D, click, R or X, then 235+ 568+ 1392+, ENTER
After each "+", snap guides will show.

Best regards.
Link

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary dimensions Reply with quote

runxel wrote:

Nope Smile (and a little bit yes)
Doing this will actually set the user origin temporarily to the point where your cursor is at that point.

I've not seen the edit origin move from coordinate input alone, but I guess it could be possible depending on the User Preferences in your Work Environment and your use of the Coordinate Box.

Would be interesting to see this in a screen capture movie.

sinceV6 wrote:
You can, after either hitting X, Y or R (and result will depend on what you use), keep using "+" or "-" after each number.

When moving something, you would CTRL-D, click, R or X, then 235+ 568+ 1392+, ENTER
After each "+", snap guides will show.

Great info! Cool

Cheers,
Link.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Construction Documentation >>> Temporary dimensions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: