Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Presentation - Rendering and Multimedia >>> Texture repetition problem
View previous topic :: View next topic
dasterner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Texture repetition problem Reply with quote

Hello everybody! I have now created a number of CineRender surfaces by using only different shaders and layers. I am starting to find it inspiring and fun in many ways. The benefit of not using images is, beside much less heavy files and faster rendering, that you get rid of the ugly tile repetition effect, and get naturalistic, endlessly varied surfaces like marble.

However, I am a bit disappointed to discover that there is still a disturbing repetition effect in the photo rendered image when I use several of the same object, balusters of a stair in this example. The funny thing is that the balusters are not 100% identical, but the pattern changes only slightly from piece to piece, each baluster is light in the bottom and patterned in the upper half. This looks unnatural and makes the enervating work to modify each and every baluster manually in Photoshop necessary again, which I have really hoped to be able to skip by using a generic CineRender surface.

balusters1.jpg
 Description:
Unnatural repetition of baluster texture
 Filesize:  117.99 KB
 Viewed:  14 Time(s)

balusters1.jpg

MAC OS SIERRA 10.12.4
MacBook Pro, 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, 16 GB RAM
ArchiCAD Versions 11 to 20, SWEDEN, FULL
dasterner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Texture repetition problem Reply with quote

I have even tried to set custom origin for the single baluster (which is not a solution anyway when you have like a hundred similar items) but this command doesn’t seem to work with a gdl-object that is my baluster in this case.

balusters2.jpg
 Description:
Unnatural repetition of baluster texture
 Filesize:  150.43 KB
 Viewed:  12 Time(s)

balusters2.jpg

MAC OS SIERRA 10.12.4
dasterner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Texture repetition problem Reply with quote

In the surface settings I have set random origin but it does not seem to give any effect. Nor does changing the angle or choosing either ”lock or unlock proportion”.

Does anybody have any experience with similar problems and maybe an idea for a solution?

Thanks in advance.

settings_marble1.jpg
 Description:
Cinerender Surface settings
 Filesize:  218.55 KB
 Viewed:  15 Time(s)

settings_marble1.jpg

MAC OS SIERRA 10.12.4
Erwin Edel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Texture repetition problem Reply with quote

Might be a matter of taste, but maybe scale down the whole surface? Those veins and what not look a little big on those balusters.

Also taste, but a more subdued colour would make it less obvious too.

ArchiCAD 9-20 NED FULL
BIMx
Windows 10 Pro 1607 / OS X Sierra
Adobe Design Premium CS4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
dasterner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Texture repetition problem Reply with quote

Erwin, thanks for your answer. I get your point with the color strength. This is only a test and the strong colors just make it easier to see what happens.
I have discovered now that CR creates the same ground pattern for each object from start, which looks identical from a distance. However there are small modifications in each case. Maybe it is one of the noise / distort layers in the Color shader that is responsible for the repetition and the variation, respectively.

globes_marble.jpg
 Description:
Repetition with small variations
 Filesize:  81.57 KB
 Viewed:  8 Time(s)

globes_marble.jpg

MAC OS SIERRA 10.12.4
dasterner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Texture repetition problem Reply with quote

The scaling down did make some difference too, the repetition is less obvious this way indeed.

balusters3.jpg
 Description:
texture downscaled 50%
 Filesize:  114.16 KB
 Viewed:  10 Time(s)

balusters3.jpg

MAC OS SIERRA 10.12.4
dasterner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Texture repetition problem Reply with quote

I have found a compromise solution. When I save a sequence of identical objects as one custom GDL (.gsm) object, the repetitiive effect disappears and the texture becomes continuous over the whole sequence.

prism_textures.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  444.36 KB
 Viewed:  10 Time(s)

prism_textures.jpg

MAC OS SIERRA 10.12.4
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Presentation - Rendering and Multimedia >>> Texture repetition problem All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: