Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Other Products >>> Cadimage framing accessory
View previous topic :: View next topic
David Bearss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

I see alot of references to this product in the forums but Cadimage website doesn't seem to offer it anymore. Have they discontinued?

I am looking for a decent way to show and account for framing / building materials similar to the way Chief Architect operates. Any suggestions?

Archicad 18/Windows 10
i7 2.4 GHz / 8 GB ram
Steve Jepson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

ArchiCAD does this as well as any program there is (I think).

You might want to consider this: http://www.archiframe.fi/en/archicad

I have reviewed it a couple of times over the past few years and it does not appear to be anything I can't already do without it. The downside for me is that is works too much like the ArchiCAD Accessory Wall Framing Tool which is not as flexible as must modeling the framing as individual elements.

ArchiCAD 21 4022-1.2/21.0.4538.6 USA
Windows 10 Pro 64x
Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC
Xeon E3-1535M v6, 4.20GHz
(2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's
17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160)
Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5
David Bearss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

Steve,
I have been checking out that product. Am concerned about the price and the quantity takeoff. Fiddling with wall framing accessory and seems to be handy for visualization but I have not figured out how to generate a materials list. Have to simply dive into modeling it myself a bit and see if I can get that to work.

Archicad 18/Windows 10
i7 2.4 GHz / 8 GB ram
David Bearss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

Steve,
I took your advice and fiddled around with a test project over the holiday and modeled some framing and created some list schemes that work pretty well. Modeling the framing is actually quite easy. Question I have is how to get the actual rafter length to show in the scheme? I can only get the horizontal length to show.

9 FRAMING _ Layout.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  9 FRAMING _ Layout.pdf
 Filesize:  373.51 KB
 Downloaded:  42 Time(s)

Archicad 18/Windows 10
i7 2.4 GHz / 8 GB ram
alexwang32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

Not sure what your using to model the rafter, if you're using the rafter object from the ArchiCAD library, you should be able to obtain its length using the Library Part parameter "Lumber Size". It shows the real 3D length as opposed to its 2D projected length ( which is shorter ).

Btw, nice 3D documents! How exactly did you get it to calculate the total length of the studs and plates? I haven't figured it out yet...

I couldn't get the wall accessory tool to work well, it's really buggy and requires a great deal of user intervention in order to display properly. And for my complex profile walls it completely fails to generate a proper framing, it seems to work only for basic composite walls.

Screenshot (4).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.56 KB
 Viewed:  12 Time(s)

Screenshot (4).png

David Bearss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

plates and headers are beams. Studs are simply columns and I did as your suggestion and have pre made door and window assemblies.
Have attached scheme settings for each.

I cant seem to navigate to where your screenshot. Could you provide more info? Is that in Scheme Settings?

wall plates.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.3 KB
 Viewed:  6 Time(s)

wall plates.png

Archicad 18/Windows 10
i7 2.4 GHz / 8 GB ram
David Bearss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

here are settings for studs

studs.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.38 KB
 Viewed:  12 Time(s)

studs.png

Archicad 18/Windows 10
i7 2.4 GHz / 8 GB ram
alexwang32

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

For Rafter 21, the way to do this is

1. Go to Add Fields/Library Part Parameters
2. Locate the Rafter object in the ArchiCAD Library/Obkect Library/Wood and Plastic/Rough Carpentry/Shop fabricated structure/Roof construction/
3. Click on it and you should see what I have in the previous screenshot

I see that you're manually modeling the wall framing. This might work for a small house (the windows and doors may prove to be tedious) but for large ones you'd be spending too much time. Cadimage's wall framing accessory was really good, too bad they discontinued. Archicad's wall framing accessory is buggy, e.g. not displaying studs in 3D and not updating windows correctly.

David Bearss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cadimage framing accessory Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the description.

Now need to figure out how to display in feet - inches.

Archicad 18/Windows 10
i7 2.4 GHz / 8 GB ram
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Other Products >>> Cadimage framing accessory All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: