Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Translator bug in 8.1? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dwight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

The metal candle holders can easily be done using Profiler and a bit of GDL - to stand them up. Or ArchiForma that will stand stand the parts up just fine. Nice image. Pass the Mead.

The curly bits on the glass - that is tricky in ArchiCAD - Perhaps you should take this kind of craft up during your ninety day sentence in taste jail. Very delicate - A good rule for computer modeling is never make anything that wouldn't survive a bar fight. Good colors in the image.

keithg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

well, the actual designs arent mine, im just supplying perspectives, and technical drawings, to be sent to the manufacturer, the designs are from my sister and i'd tell her about the taste comment but she's a little sensitive and might kick my .... Very Happy
keithg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

smaller items like these, i am very comfortable modeling in Maya, it's the translation im worried about, to provide the tech drawings
Dwight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

Swell - how would they be manufacturing the curly bits? Is it CNC? Probably not. Wire bent in a jig? I see the wire bits being made in flat components and being wrapped around a tapered cylinder. In this case, you'd be needing a flat template. Can Maya unwrap the curved elements?

A set of working drawings for this would be some patterns for the wire workers.

Or casting in one piece - the bits seem a little thin for that.....

It seems that describing these crafts for the workers needs simple orthographic drawings of the elements and a perspective to indicate assembly - weld points, perhaps.

Or am I barking up the wrong skirt?

keithg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

well,
i didnt think i was going to get into the manufacturing process of candle holders when i started this thread, Very Happy . 3-5 mm thick round or flat stock is bent around a pivot point that is mathematically computed by the factory.
The drawings are pretty straight forward, take the candle holder for example, i take one of the legs in side view, give the critical numbers, and somebody at the plant creates a template based on the one leg, and presto.
Items,such as the metal wire glass, get a lot more complex, and i really dont have the time to explain, but it takes MUCH more time to provide the drawings
keithg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

Dwight,

I tried all you mentioned, except to make sure i checked solid model in GDL, i wasn't sure where to look for that option. but i did everything else, and i still have a wiremesh in shaded mode.
when i select the object, and go into the object selection settings, what do the TRAFO3D stand for? obviously the only parameter i can change is length, height, and width?
Dwight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

MODEL SOLID is a GDL command that you add to the script.

Send it to me at

dwight_atkinson@telus.net

We'll see what we can do.
If anything.

Djordje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

Dwight wrote:
Swell - how would they be manufacturing the curly bits? Is it CNC? Probably not. Wire bent in a jig? I see the wire bits being made in flat components and being wrapped around a tapered cylinder. In this case, you'd be needing a flat template. Can Maya unwrap the curved elements?

Don't know abot Maya, but GDL can - BWall is not the most obvious or easiest thing to use, BUT you have to do just what Dwight said - provide a flat template for bending with a single radius.

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... currently 20 Win7Pro
View user's profile Send private message    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
keithg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

thanx for all you input, its appreciated Very Happy

how do you mean send you the file? which file are you talking about?
Dwight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Translator bug in 8.1? Reply with quote

I referred to the DXF export file - just wanted to see the script and whether or not I could use GDL to make the wireframe solid......
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Translator bug in 8.1? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: