Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Merging From DWG Not Working
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jay Rennemeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Merging From DWG Not Working Reply with quote

We have had a lot of problems merging DWG geometry into ArchiCAD. Sometimes it works, but more often than not 10-50% of the geometry is missing. I thought it might be a size issue so I had one of our guys split the DWG into two files, then merge each one separately. Both merges worked, so we rebuilt a single DWG from the two chunks and the single one still wouldn't merge correctly. That tells me that my translator is working correctly, so it has to be some other problem. Bug?
Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, SP3
AC10-1188, AC11-1210, AC12-2325
No longer using ArchiCAD
Djordje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Merging From DWG Not Working Reply with quote

Jay Rennemeyer wrote:
We have had a lot of problems merging DWG geometry into ArchiCAD. Sometimes it works, but more often than not 10-50% of the geometry is missing. I thought it might be a size issue so I had one of our guys split the DWG into two files, then merge each one separately. Both merges worked, so we rebuilt a single DWG from the two chunks and the single one still wouldn't merge correctly. That tells me that my translator is working correctly, so it has to be some other problem. Bug?

What kind of geometry? Any 2D solids? Where is the origin? What are the units? What are the limits, and the DWG limits?

These are all the factors that contribute - or not, as the case might be.

IMHE XReffing works best, and you can (which you should not) copy protions of XRef and paste them into the plan ...

A philosophical question - why merging?

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... currently 20 Win7Pro
View user's profile Send private message    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Jay Rennemeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Merging From DWG Not Working Reply with quote

Djordje wrote:

What kind of geometry? Any 2D solids? Where is the origin? What are the units? What are the limits, and the DWG limits?

All 2D linework -- no solids, 3D faces, or AEC objects. Origin is always 0,0 which is in close proximity to the geometry. Units are imperial inches. The drawing limits are generally small because we ignore them. As far as size goes, one instance only contained about 50 entities in a 10' x 10' area; another was a pretty simple floor plan about 100' x 80'.

Djordje wrote:

In this case it is because we were going to use the geometry for standard details. Since they never change, I decided I would rather just have them in a PLN file -- the native AC format. That way I clean them up once and they are done.

Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, SP3
AC10-1188, AC11-1210, AC12-2325
No longer using ArchiCAD
Djordje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Merging From DWG Not Working Reply with quote

Jay Rennemeyer wrote:
Djordje wrote:
In this case it is because we were going to use the geometry for standard details. Since they never change, I decided I would rather just have them in a PLN file -- the native AC format. That way I clean them up once and they are done.

If the merging is causing the trouble here, just open the file, and save it as PLN. Then you can merge, copy/paste, whatever.

Yes, I know, a workaround ...

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... currently 20 Win7Pro
View user's profile Send private message    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Merging From DWG Not Working All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: