Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Teamwork / BIM Server >>> TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Steve Jepson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions? Reply with quote

Something that is not clear to me is that when I open the hosts file in Notepad (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) it appearsears to be a sample of how a HOST file looks. Is this Notepad window actually the place to edit someting?

Obviously a static IP address on your router is best, however, if you dont have one it is not that big a deal to send out a new link to the BIM server if it is only going to change once every few months or so.

The dynamic IP address that Comcast issues (for example) can not be called static IP address but they don't change very often.

Port Forwarding is what needs to be configured if you have a static IP address or not right?

I don't know how to do that but it doesn't seem like it would take much to give step-by-step instructions.

ArchiCAD 21 5010 1.2/4538.6 USA
Windows 10 Pro 64x
Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC
Xeon E3-1535M v6, 4.20GHz
(2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's
17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160)
Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5

Last edited by Steve Jepson on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karl Ottenstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions? Reply with quote

Steve Jepson wrote:
Something that is not clear to me is that when I open the hosts file in Notepad (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc) it appearsears to be a sample of how a HOST file looks. Is this Notepad window actually the place to edit someting?

This may be of some help.
http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/static.ip.address.php

Hi Steve,

Yes, the article that you link to gives directions for assigning a static local address to a machine. This is useful in all cases, but it is essential if you are going to edit the hosts file in order to point a domain name locally to a particular machine... if the machine were dynamically assigned an IP address, then local access would break...in the specific scenario where local access requires editing the hosts file due to concurrent internet access. (As noted in the wiki article, this may not always be required depending on a number of factors.)

Yes, the notepad window contents that you see is not a sample ... it IS the hosts file. The first group of lines is just documentation - anything after a "#" symbol is a comment and is ignored during processing of the file. Edit carefully.

Cheers,
Karl

Last edited by Karl Ottenstein on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Jepson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions? Reply with quote

Thanks Karl.

This will be a sweet victory when I finally get it up and running Very Happy

ArchiCAD 21 5010 1.2/4538.6 USA
Windows 10 Pro 64x
Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC
Xeon E3-1535M v6, 4.20GHz
(2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's
17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160)
Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5
Steve Gunnis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions? Reply with quote

It does not make it clear anywhere in the ArchiCAD 13 documentation that the original project file is obsolete once a project is shared. It's going to affect how we file our projects and is a quite alien and new process that even long term users of ArchiCAD won't find intuitive or obvious. They really should make it much clearer.
giuseppe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions? Reply with quote

Hi!
I think it will be helpful if somebody can specify with examples the path of a general TW2 installed on a single computer in a local network.
Like C:/Projects.....and so on.
Thanks

Nvidia Geforce GTX 745
https://www.eskenasyferguson.com/
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Teamwork / BIM Server >>> TW2- Where are the step-by-step instructions? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: