Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Teamwork / BIM Server >>> LIBRARY Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rwallis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: LIBRARY Reply with quote

With AC13 GS have given us the ability to have a server based library for TW'd projects.

In an office environment is it possible for users to use the shared libraries on standalone projects? i.e. a combo of shared libraries and maybe dedicated ones for the project?

Karl Ottenstein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

Yes. Server libraries can be used in solo projects. But, you do not need external project libraries any longer - as project parts can/should be embedded in the project file instead.

Karl

rwallis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

Thanks Karl- please excuse my old-school-thinking slip up!!

1 more - Can a user save a part into the shared library or is it a one way relationship only?

laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

It is not possible to save into a BIM Server Library located on the BIM Server.
You would have to save the object to the source library of the BIM Server Library.
So, e.g. you have ArchiCAD Library 13 in your local hard drive. This library was uploaded to the BIM Server. In the Manage BIM Server Libraries Dialog you can select any library and in the Source Path field you will see where the source library is. You can save into this library and then use the Refresh button of the Manage BIM Server Libraries Dialog to upload the changes to the BIM Server.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM
28" (2560x1440), NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
500 GB NVMe SSD, WIN10 PRO ENG
AC13-AC21
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
rwallis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

I think this is the last question - I assume saving as embedded part means other users get it straight away?
Also
If I save a part as embedded and then later realise I can use this part on other projects, can I save it out as a standalone part?

Karl Ottenstein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

rwallis wrote:
I think this is the last question - I assume saving as embedded part means other users get it straight away?

As soon as they do a 'Receive'.

Quote:
If I save a part as embedded and then later realise I can use this part on other projects, can I save it out as a standalone part?

Yes, you can save embedded parts out as individual files.

Cheers,
Karl

laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

rwallis wrote:
Also

If you save a Library Part in the Embedded Library, it will became part of the Project file, but only your local copy.
You have to send your changes.
Then, after others Receive changes, the Library Parts will be available for them to.
In such a case it is a good idea to send an IM to everyone notifying them.

Concerning your other question:
Go to the Library Manager and select in the Embedded Library the Library Parts you want to save out. Then click the Export embedded subtree into local folder button. Specify a folder and all selected elements will be exported into it.
Please note that you can create subfolders within the Embedded Library so you can select one or more of these subfolders and library parts and export only those selected Library Parts.

As I see you got an answer from Karl as well. What a service. Smile

ArchiCAD13_Teamwork2_ExportingEmbeddedLibraryParts.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.93 KB
 Viewed:  605 Time(s)

ArchiCAD13_Teamwork2_ExportingEmbeddedLibraryParts.png

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM
28" (2560x1440), NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
500 GB NVMe SSD, WIN10 PRO ENG
AC13-AC21
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
rwallis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

Great TEAMWORK (excuse the pun) - thanks for the advice! It will help our roll out go so much smoother. thanks
Daniel Hruby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

laszlonagy wrote:
You can save into this library and then use the Refresh button of the Manage BIM Server Libraries Dialog to upload the changes to the BIM Server.

Laszlo,

for some reason I can not get my BIM Server libraries to update. Oddly, the Uploaded date is 2009/10/22 and the Last updated date 2009/07/13. And if I try to select and update, it appears to do something for a few minutes and the Last updated date does not change and the textures I am trying to load in the updated library still show as missing.

I fear, that if I REMOVE and re-upload the entire library it might break links between several projects calling on it. I guess I will take a chance on doing that.

Update:

Seems like I can not delete it Nor can I uploaded it again as it says the library already exists. So, I can not seem to update, remove or relocate our office library.

Rolling Eyes

Maxwell 3.2
Modo 902
Barry Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: LIBRARY Reply with quote

Not that I know much about this but here are a couple of questions.
Is your library an LCF file or individal parts?
Are you by chance trying to save individual parts to and LCF file?
You will have to update the entire LCF file if that is the case.
Barry.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Teamwork / BIM Server >>> LIBRARY All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: