Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ARCHICAD >>> Specifications on Drawings
View previous topic :: View next topic
tjbota

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

As a smaller office occasionally we locate our specifications on the drawings. This allows us to make sure that the contractor has all the information he needs in one place. Our office edits specifications in Word. I found that if I make a PDF of the specifications i can place them directly on the layout. I apologize if this is redundant for people but I searched a long time to try and figure this one out so I thought that I should share with the class.

There is a little set up but once it is done updating the information is relatively easy.

1. Format the Word document so that there are no margins and the width that you would like to see on the drawings. 6"x11" works pretty good for me. You can do 6x sheet size but I find that if i want to edit in word sometimes it is nice to print a hard copy out and edit, call me old fashion.

2. Create a PDF of the spec, making sure that all pages are within one document.

3. Place the document on the layout, ArchiCAD will have you place each page separately. Arrange them so that it reads continuously. See attached image for how I did it for a 24"x36" sheet.

4. When you need to make changes to the PDF Just republish with the correct format, the same name, and same location. it will update the pages that you placed on the drawing when you re-open the drawing and update the layout.

SpecLayout.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.2 KB
 Viewed:  871 Time(s)

SpecLayout.jpg

2.6 GHz intel Core I7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger   
Erich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Just an FYI...

If you set your page size in Word to something larger, you can reduce the number of imports required. In Pages (a mac program) I can make the page size match the drawing sheet size and only have 1 import on each page. Then you just adjust the number of columns to match what you want to see. In Word I was not able to make this work because my version of Word (older) was limited in how large a page could be but you could match the sheet height and cut your number of imports in half.

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

This is a good summary of how to do this so I am copying it to the Tips and trick section.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
Steve Jepson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Erich wrote:
Just an FYI...

If you set your page size in Word to something larger, you can reduce the number of imports required. In Pages (a mac program) I can make the page size match the drawing sheet size and only have 1 import on each page. Then you just adjust the number of columns to match what you want to see. In Word I was not able to make this work because my version of Word (older) was limited in how large a page could be but you could match the sheet height and cut your number of imports in half.

Eric, would you happen to know what the max page size for the latest version of Word is? Pages sounds like a good progam. I think I wish I had a mac.

ArchiCAD 21 4004 USA FULL
Windows 10 Pro 64x
Maxwell Render 4.1.1.1
Dell 7720 (VR) Nvidia P5000
Erich

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Steve,

Sorry I don't know if this has change with the latest versions. I dumped Word when I started using Archicad and could use a Mac at the office rather than the PC. Since I have been using it since version 10, this has been awhile now.

I was very pleased with Pages when Microsoft changed to the .docx format. My version of Word on the PC would not open it but Pages on the mac would!

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Matthew Lohden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Steve Jepson wrote:
Erich wrote:
Just an FYI...

Eric, would you happen to know what the max page size for the latest version of Word is? Pages sounds like a good progam. I think I wish I had a mac.

Last I checked it was 24x24. That was a while ago though. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't changed. Pages is cool but you can get similar results from any program that will do the large sheets.

MacPro 8core 32GB Radeon 5870
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, XP32, Win 7x64
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
vistasp
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Steve, does Word give you the option for a "user" size page? Just tried a 24"x36" page with 6 columns in Open Office Writer and printed it to PDF. Works great.

http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
http://www.btsquarepeg.com

| AC 9-21 INT | Win10 | i7 4770 | 16 GB | Quadro K620 |

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website   Facebook ID (Not full URL, just ID!) LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
vfrontiers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Ok... you made me go the "way back" machine for this one... but...

Yes... word sticks you to 22x22... But if you're tricky, you can set up your page 12 x 18 (for example)... 6 columns with "half size" font... make pdf and place @ 200%... There are filters (mac/ pdf) and other tricks to get resolution back to acceptable (actually, I am not sure that it will be unacceptable as I am presuming the fonts are "vectors" and not pixels in the resulting PDF file)...

27" iMac|2.9ghz|32gbRAM:|:OsX10.11
PC Laptop-i7:|:8gbRAM:|:Win7-64
vistasp
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Nice work-around, Duane!

It seemed like a strange limitation (that excel and powerpoint do not suffer from) and a quick search mentions that it has something to do with a unit of measurement I'd never heard of before: "twips". See the 9th post in this thread.

I'll stick with OpenOffice/LibreOffice/Whichever-fork-of-Ooo-works-best. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website   Facebook ID (Not full URL, just ID!) LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
vistasp
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Specifications on Drawings Reply with quote

Just checked. The max page size in any OpenOffice document (or spreadsheet/presentation/drawing) is 3mx3m (almost 10'x10'). Whoa!

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Working in ARCHICAD >>> Specifications on Drawings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: