Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Sketchup into ArchiCAD
View previous topic :: View next topic
RobinT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

I would like to import a Sketchup component from the 3D Warehouse (a modeled piece of furniture) into ArchiCAD 13 but don't know how. I am reading various answers - do I need the Sketchup Add-On for ArchiCAD, or a Goodie? I don't really know much about Sketchup. By exporting the item as a .dwg I was able to bring it into ArchiCAD as a line drawing but I'd love to have the whole model.
Krippahl
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

There are a number of ways to do this, but in you case I would:

1- Export from Sketchup as a .3ds file.
2- Open ArchiCAD, go to Help Menu and click on ArchiCAD xx Downloads
3- Download and install the 3D Studio In Add-on
4- Follow it's instructions

AC14, AC15, MEP Modeler, Mac OS X 10.6.8
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
NCornia
Graphisoft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

I would use the Google Earth Connections add-on as it requires fewer steps and does not require the pro version of Sketchup (free version does not export to 3ds file).

The GEC add-on allows you to directly import models from the Google 3D warehouse. It also allows you to open .skp files directly in ArchiCAD. Once the add-on is installed, when you go to File>Open you will notice that .skp has been added to the available filetypes to open. The add-on also allows you to import and export from/to Google Earth, etc.

Here is the link to watch demo videos download: http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/addons/google_earth/

Nicholas

Follow us on Twitter
Graphisoft HelpCenter
Krippahl
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

It also only works on a Windows platform, and RobinT does not tell us what his is...
Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
NCornia
Graphisoft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

True, I forgot to mention that. Thanks Miguel.
Follow us on Twitter
Graphisoft HelpCenter
Krippahl
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

Ah, and if you are using the free version of Sketchup, you have to use Blender (also free) to convert the exported COLLADA file into a .3ds file that ArchiCAD can read.

RobinT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

Thank you for this input. The process with the exported 3ds file worked. The objects came in grossly overscaled but I was able to resize them in ArchiCAD. Many thanks again and Happy New Year.
Matthew Lohden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sketchup into ArchiCAD Reply with quote

RobinT wrote:
The objects came in grossly overscaled...

This is usually a units problem. Most commonly at the mm/inch ratio of 25.4 or its reciprocal. I have also seen some things from the Google warehouse that are way out of scale in SketchUp, presumably due to modeler error or unit conversions at another level.

MacPro 8core 32GB Radeon 5870
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, XP32, Win 7x64
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Data Exchange and Information Sharing >>> Sketchup into ArchiCAD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: