Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Student Forum >>> Converting commercial into educational version Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Looney

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

A few years ago i had a educational license and i played with archicad quite a bit, designing houses nd whatever came into my mind. Now i am working and i have a commercial license for archicad 12.
In my spare time i continue to play with archicad.
The problem is that i would like to use some of the stuff i designed in the educational version in my more recent projects.
Considering that the projects that i am playing with have no commercial purpose, i am not rejecting the option to convert a project started in commercial to educational in order to be able to copy/paste certain objects, like a pond, a gazebo, some interior furniture and things like that.
Since i don't have a educational license any more to just open the file and automatically convert it, is there another way to get around this problem?
Or is there a way to extract certain objects from the educational pln so that i can use them in a commercial version?
I know i can start over and design again all the objects but that would be tedious.

Thank you very much
ejrolon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

As long as the EDU files were not made using the .pne format (up to AC09 I believe) you will be able to open them in AC12.

If you do AC12 will switch to Educational mode until you quit. You will not be able to copy paste between Commercial and Edu versions.

If the files are in .pne format AFAIK you can only open them in the original Edu Version.

AC21US -> AC08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Looney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

No, no. That's not the problem.
As i told, i have some projects made in archicad edu.
Now i am still playing with archicad but i have the commercial version.
I also have some projects made for fun, but in archicad commercial. It is in those projects, made in commercial archicad that i want to incorporate pieces made in archicad edu. That's why i would like it if there was a method to convert my commercial plans to edu plans to be able to copy from the older projects.

ejrolon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

Ok, going the other way is easy open the Edu file first and either merge the Commercial file into it or have 2 sessions of AC running one with the Edu file and the other with the commercial and you should be able to copy/paste between them.
AC21US -> AC08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Looney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

I cannot copy neither from the commercial to the edu or the other way. I will try to merge them and see what happens.
ejrolon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

I think copy/paste was disabled when the format was .pne but I am not sure.
AC21US -> AC08
kliment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

You cannot copy/paste between edu and commercial.
Win 7 Ultimate 64
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

If you open the commercial file in the EDU version and save it, it will be saved in EDU format.
Then you will be able to copy-paste stuff from that file into your other EDU project.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
Looney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

I don't mean to be rude, but i think that i am not able to get the message out right.
I'll try again:

I have some older projects in edu format and some new projects in commercial format.
I want to merge parts of the old edu projects into the new commercial ones.
Since the new commercial ones have been made for pure enjoyment, i don't mind converting them to edu because i can still work with them even after the conversion.
I do not have a edu version of archicad in wich to open the files in order to convert them.

Is there a way to convert at least part of the older edu files into commercial or to convert the commercial file into edu without a edu licenced archicad?

Matthew Lohden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial into educational version Reply with quote

Looney wrote:
...or to convert the commercial file into edu without a edu licenced archicad?

Why would you need to convert to edu if you don't have an edu license?

MacPro 8core 32GB Radeon 5870
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, XP32, Win 7x64
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Student Forum >>> Converting commercial into educational version All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: