Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Tips and Tricks >>> From DWG to MESH... a trick Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NandoMogollon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Hi,
You all may be familiar with the AC14 new option "Place Mesh From Surveyors Data"...

It is a really fast way to create real terrains with just a few clicks. The only problem is that you will need a txt or a xyz file, and not all surveys provide with them, some will give you a dwg containing contour lines at real height.

There is a workaround to use the "mesh from surveyors" option with that dwg file:

1- open the DWG as an object
    2- copy the 3D script to a text editor (just the lines) and save it as txt
    3- open the file in MS excel (using commas as separators)
    3- use find & replace to replace the LIN_ text with a space
    4- at this moment you will have 6 columns
    5- take the last 3 and place them at the end so you can have a list of X, Y and Z values
    6- save it as a txt , again using commas as separators

now you can use the "mesh from surveyors" option by selecting the txt file.

It worked for me with more than 12000 points, so it pretty reliable.
just be aware of the amount of polygons generated when viewing on 3D.

Let me know if any clarification is needed.

Regards

Nando

Screen shot 2011-01-28 at 5.54.40 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.35 KB
 Viewed:  1260 Time(s)

Screen shot 2011-01-28 at 5.54.40 PM.png

www.nandomogollon.com
www.openBIMer.com
mail@nandomogollon.com
@openbimer
Now in Australia!
Revit 2017, ArchiCAD 20 AUS,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger   LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Matthew Lohden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Cool. I'll have to add this to my bag of tricks. Thanks.

MacPro 8core 32GB Radeon 5870
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, XP32, Win 7x64
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
ravoneldar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Could you explain it a little bit more? I couldn't understand.
Matthew Lohden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

ravoneldar wrote:
Could you explain it a little bit more? I couldn't understand.

What he is doing is editing the text of the 3D script to convert lines into XYZ point coordinates. If your library part script has LIN_ statements in it (which it probably will if it is not binary) these will each have six arguments (the XYZ coordinates for the start and end points). He is then copy/pasting the text into a text editor and then exporting to Excel to extract just the end point XYZ values as an ordered list. This can then be converted to a mesh in AC14.

This might work for your Google Earth terrain if the GDL script has the stuff you need.

BTW: To open the library part the easiest way is to select it and press command/control + option/alt + O (that's the letter O not zero). You can also find it under the file menu.

MacPro 8core 32GB Radeon 5870
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, XP32, Win 7x64
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
vistasp
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Matthew Lohden wrote:
This might work for your Google Earth terrain if the GDL script has the stuff you need.

A GE snapshot that I opened has a bunch of TEVE statements which I suppose should give the coordinates in x y z. Also noticed that the TEVE was preceded by different MUL for all three. Why does that happen I wonder. Confused

Don't have 14 so can't bring it back into AC as a mesh to check if it works. Sad

http://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
http://www.btsquarepeg.com

| AC 9-21 INT | Win10 | i7 4770 | 16 GB | Quadro K620 |

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website   Facebook ID (Not full URL, just ID!) LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Karl Ottenstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Great trick/tip, Nando!

In case it is not obvious to folks, this still does require that the DWG contain a 3D terrain representation. If your surveyor only sends a 2D DWG (as 2D site contours), you won't have any elevation data.

Cheers,
Karl

ravoneldar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Could you try it on this file? I really didn't understand what I should do. If you can help me, I'll be so appreciated.

terrain.dwg.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  terrain.dwg.zip
 Filesize:  49.58 KB
 Downloaded:  1037 Time(s)

Mac Os X 10.6.6

AC 13, 14
Erich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

It seems to me that this needs to be copied into the reference section. What do the administrators think?

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
NandoMogollon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm glad you all find it useful ! (not bad for friday problem-solving-thinking)

And yes, I have to clarify that contour lines on real height are required in the original DWG.

I'll do a graphic tutorial for my office wich I expect to publish soon.

Best regards

Nando

www.nandomogollon.com
www.openBIMer.com
mail@nandomogollon.com
@openbimer
Now in Australia!
Revit 2017, ArchiCAD 20 AUS,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger   LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
jonyyybe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: From DWG to MESH... a trick Reply with quote

Nando, can you by more explinable.

Can you explain the exactly the steps in the ravoneldar dwg file uploaded.

1- open the DWG as an object - i understand
2- copy the 3D script to a text editor (just the lines=what lines? there are many lines) and save it as txt - i don't understan what lines, but to save to a txt yes.
3- open the file in MS excel (using commas as separators=???) - Using commans as separator?
3- use find & replace to replace the LIN_ text with a space - same ????
4- at this moment you will have 6 columns - remaning to be seen...
5- take the last 3 and place them at the end so you can have a list of X, Y and Z values - ??????
6- save it as a txt , again using commas as separators - ?????

later edit: Matthew thnaks, but i will wait to se the tutorial, because i do not understand many things.

Last edited by jonyyybe on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
View previous topic :: View next topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Tips and Tricks >>> From DWG to MESH... a trick All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: