Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Annotation Wishes >>> Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

What's your opinion about this wish?
Essential (5)
53%
 53%  [ 15 ]
Important (4)
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Average (3)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not important (2)
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Not needed (1)
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Average: 3.61 points
Total Votes : 28

Stomick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

I know this has been requested before, but I could really do with the simple option to automatically round millimetre dimensions to the nearest 5mm or 10mm.

Surely this has to be a fairly straightforward addition to ArchiCad and I think it would make a lot of Aussies and Kiwis happy!
Rod Jurich
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Rod Jurich Reply with quote

Well not this Aussie, I model accurately and do not have odd dims left over.
Numbers are great as there is no ambiguity as there can be with language.
Therefore I maintain the status quo and voted not required.

After some 40+ years in practice I have yet to have a differing opinion
with any of my builders.

s2art

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

Not this Kiwi either.

A few years ago on that 2D CAD programme I was drawing a turned stone baluster based on classical proportional dimensions. Because the numbers were fractions of millimeters rounded to the nearest millimeter the overall dimension was 7mm different to the sum of all dimensions. If you were to round to 5 or 10mm nothing would add up.

AC20 5025 NZE
HP Envy Notebook + 27"
Intel i7-6500 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
Valery W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

It seems this is the third wish, to be rounded dimensions.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13889
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=2424

I vote "Essential"
GraemeB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

Whether you want it or not - the software should be configurable to work the way the user wants. Archicad is well behind other systems in this regard. I would prefer dimension rounding on some projects, but maybe not on others. I would also prefer dimensions to be displayed in mm without commas (and without changing my windows system settings). All of this is possible because I did it for years in Microstation and other systems.
eattext

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Jurich Reply with quote

Rod Jurich wrote:
Well not this Aussie, I model accurately and do not have odd dims left over.

I’m all for accurate modelling, but sometimes odd dimensions are unavoidable, e.g. when a wall meets another wall on an angle, and one needs to dimension the length of the wall.

I am also of the opinion that having dimensions rounded to the nearest 5mm (or whatever the user chooses) would result in a more professional looking drawing. It indicates that the architect is aware of the tolerances required in actually building something.
Int_Skylined

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

Hi devs and all!

Let's refresh this topic, maybe anybody have new opinions?

My vote - "Important". This rounding is a small, but nessesary detail.
ejrolon

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

Still against sloppy modeling.

Objects have to measure what they are supposed to regardless of construction tolerances. The actual/standard/correct way of indicating tolerances is in how you place your dimensions ( a total dimension, with all the partials except one were you as the architect decide that the contractor is allowed to "screw" up the project).

If walls are meeting at angles then you dimension either by coordinates (X,Y) or by Radius and Angle or a combination that gives the correct and easy way to dimension in the field.

Agree on MM without commas

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 9.27.32 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.22 KB
 Viewed:  125 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 9.27.32 AM.png

AC21US -> AC08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Int_Skylined

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

ejrolon, this topic not about sloppy, but about some straight rounding of dimensions. It need not othen, but sometimes need.

Next, adding 1 new rounding option (5/10mm) in "Dimension Options" - it's so difficult? I think that "no".

2016-05-28_20-35-08.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.93 KB
 Viewed:  108 Time(s)

2016-05-28_20-35-08.png

Last edited by Int_Skylined on Sat May 28, 2016 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ejrolon

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm Reply with quote

By definition if something does not measure what the dimension actually says it is sloppy and incorrect.

If the dimension is correct then you will not need to round it off and in AC and most CAD programs not using the correct information takes more time and effort than doing it correctly. In the extreme cases that you need to override the actual dimension then you would mark it in yellow and add approx. to it so that everyone is aware that it is different.

In my office if somebody does what you are suggesting I would fire them if it is done on purpose after one warning.

----
But I might not see what your special use case is.
That being the case I have one project were I had to lower the dim setting to not have fractional inches and now I am fixing all those rounded off dimensions because professionally I don't want to have to tell the client that I didn't do the job properly.

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 1.42.56 PM.png
 Description:
Which one is the correct round off?
 Filesize:  47.59 KB
 Viewed:  100 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 1.42.56 PM.png

AC21US -> AC08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Annotation Wishes >>> Dimension Rounding to 5mm or 10mm All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: