Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Hardware >>> CPU or GPU for rendering? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
William RT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CPU or GPU for rendering? Reply with quote

From what I can see, and from carefully selecting my GPU to run on artlantis in windows;

http://www.artlantis.com/en/support/faq/questions/show/1215

This link suggests that Artlantis 6 must use the GPU.
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CPU or GPU for rendering? Reply with quote

That link shows you only how to use the Dedicated GPU (NVidia or AMD card) instead of the integrated GPU (GPU on the Intel CPU - much less performance).
This does not mean that Artlantis is using the GPU instead of the CPU for rendering.

The application uses the GPU all the time to display stuff in 3D while you edit materials, change viewpoint, place lights, etc. That does not mean that it is using the GPU specifically when creating the Rendered image.
The application must be specifically written to use the GPU instead of the CPU. This usually results in "real-time" rendering.

For example, OctaneRender is using the GPU for rendering. Look what its wikipedia page says:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_Render

Quote:
Octane Render is a real-time 3D unbiased rendering application that was started by the New Zealand-based company Refractive Software, Ltd and OTOY took over on March 2012. The first non-beta stable version, v1.0, was released on 28 November 2012 and later versions of Octane Render continue to be deployed as a Web release software. It is the first commercially available unbiased renderer to work exclusively on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and has the ability to work in real time. This allows users to modify materials, lighting and render settings “on the fly” because the rendering viewport updates immediately whenever a change is made. Octane Render runs exclusively on Nvidia's CUDA technology (which restricts it to running on video cards from Nvidia) although Octane Render 3.0 is planned to remove this restriction.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

i7-2630QM 16 GB RAM
17.3" (1920x1080), NVidia GTX 460M
SSD+HDD, Win10-64 ENG
AC13-AC21 (64-bit, latest build)
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
William RT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CPU or GPU for rendering? Reply with quote

I feel like I wasted all that money on a top-spec graphics card.
I had a look at Octane, and while I love integration in ArchiCAD, I am not so keen on the interface or workflow.
Oh well, Artlantis really needs GPU-base. Now.
Steve Jepson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CPU or GPU for rendering? Reply with quote

Maxwell Render 4 - coming very soon will render with GPU. Upgrades are for sale now.
alemanda
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: CPU or GPU for rendering? Reply with quote

Lumion uses gpu so if you're going to use lumion you must have a fast Nvdia Gtx card.
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Hardware >>> CPU or GPU for rendering? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: