Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Student Forum >>> Converting commercial file to Edu
View previous topic :: View next topic
sibsonf

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Converting commercial file to Edu Reply with quote

I have just downloaded Archicad17 and am a student still coming to grips with Archicad. I have been sent some house plans from a commercial user and when I open the file, all the plans appear on one 'page' and there is nothing in the 'layout book'. Do I need to something different when opening a file from a commercial user?

Screenshot 2014-05-20 17.38.24.png
 Description:
Here is a screen shot of the above
 Filesize:  249.21 KB
 Viewed:  276 Time(s)

Screenshot 2014-05-20 17.38.24.png

Barry Kelly

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial file to Edu Reply with quote

It looks like you have opened a DXF or DWG file?
It may have been saved like this from Archicad but it will no longer be an Archicad file.
You need to open a PLN file to get the full model and layouts.

Barry.

sibsonf

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial file to Edu Reply with quote

Hi Barry, thank you. Yes it is a DWG file. Does this mean I won't be able to access it at all? Like I said, I am hoping to make some additions to it...
stefan

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting commercial file to Edu Reply with quote

It's simply a Drawing (lines, text, dimensions). You can do what you want with it, but it contains no 3D model. That you have to create from scratch, using the DWG as reference.

It is better to start from an ArchiCAD template (included with your install) and then use File > External Content > Attach XRef, so the DWG will not mess up the layers, line types and hatches in your project.

ArchiCAD Since 6.o - http://bit.ly/17u87df
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Facebook ID (Not full URL, just ID!) LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Student Forum >>> Converting commercial file to Edu All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: