Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIMx >>> BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
laszlonagy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

Today a new update was released for BIMx.
The biggest enhancement is support for Google Cardboard VR on smartphones (not on tablets at this point).
You can simply update your BIMx on your smartphone to get the latest functionality.

Laszlo Nagy, Moderator, Site Admin
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy

AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.4 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM
28" (2560x1440), NVidia GTX 1060 6GB
500 GB NVMe SSD, WIN10 PRO ENG
AC13-AC21
Loving ARCHICAD since 1995
Stig Bengtsson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

Is there a file size limit for Cardboard VR?

I added GI to a BIMx model and the file doubled in size but I can still open it on my phone. I just don't get the three dots where I can choose Cardboard.

Stig

SenecaDesignLLC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

The default model works great, but when I try to run a model thats 120 mbytes or 158 then cardboard view just freezes. eventually it loads but still doesnt perform like the default model.
Hans Roest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

Same here.

Default model works fine, this is exactly what we have been waiting for!

Whenever I upload a BIMx hypermodel of my own and enter the VR mode the dual viewports just freeze up. It works for one second, and then freezes. I have tried serveral methods to get my own models to work:
- Large models with / without GI;
- Small (even just a single slab) with / without GI;
- Create BIMx from AC20 and uploaded tot BIMx online portal;
- Create BIMx from AC19;

Nothing seems to matter, nothing works like the demo model.

When I tap very fast for serveral times the viewports start to work again (after some waiting).
However, after I single tap (to bring up the menu), the viewports freeze up again. Single tapping closes the menu and starts the walking again. This leaves me with:
- VR mode works, but after a long wait in the beginning and after A LOT of fast taps on the screen to get it to work;
- Basicly only walking mode, when I single tap to bring up the menu / look around, the views freeze.

This feature is super-exiting, hope to get it working better soon!
Sucks because it seems to be model-related (demo model works). Any help here?

Specs:
- ArchiCAD 20, build 4009 (NED FULL);
- Android 6.0.1;
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + Gear VR (in Cardboard mode);
Hans Roest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

Hans Roest wrote:
Blablabla (my earlier post)

BIMx Hypermodel from ArchiCAD19 works like a charme (normal models don't). Models from AC20 keeps having the same problem.
This feature rocks!!
DGSketcher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

Have you installed the latest version, I thought we were on AC20 build 4012 but I dont have access to check today.
Hans Roest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

DGSketcher wrote:
Have you installed the latest version, I thought we were on AC20 build 4012 but I dont have access to check today.

Build 4009 is the latest for Windows, 4012 is Mac only?
DGSketcher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

You are correct. I thought the build numbers for win & Mac were synced.
Stig Bengtsson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

Yes, now I realize the model has to be published as a Hyper model. Just saving as BIMx from the 3D-window doesn't work with Cardboard.

Stig

SenecaDesignLLC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones Reply with quote

it seems to be hit and miss with my models. maybe its based on a polygon count. i have a project that when i just publish the 3d model its ends up and 38 mbytes, it is a large very detailed house with furniture and all. it does not load in cardboard mode.

i have another model that is a lot less complex, and with the 2d docs ends up being 39 mbytes. it opens and runs every time perfectly.

edit: I can confirm that file size and polygon count play no role in my models working in cardboard mode. as well as whether or not GI is involved.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIMx >>> BIMx supports Google Cardboard VR on smartphones All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: