Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIMx >>> global illumination
View previous topic :: View next topic
Stephen Dolbee
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: global illumination Reply with quote

On any new bimx model I create, global illumination is greyed out. On older models it is still available. Any ideas as to why? I am still on ac19.
SenecaDesignLLC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: global illumination Reply with quote

Stephen Dolbee wrote:
On any new bimx model I create, global illumination is greyed out. On older models it is still available. Any ideas as to why? I am still on ac19.

Pretty sure you have to tell it to do it when creating the hypermodel prior to the bimx export

methy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: global illumination Reply with quote

yes you have to do it on the first bimx export it is a setting you need to change to activate it, you model can take substantially longer to create than the previous bimx when using global illumination one of our designs took up to 2 hours to export the saved file.
In saying that there is a good visual improvement.

And the other unfortunate thing is you are unable to save any changed settings ie if you change the shadows, sun azimuth, head height, view cone, or any other settings you are unable to save the bimx file again.

Not sure why Graphisoft have removed this functionality, say for example we only wanted our client to view it in a particular way, (perhaps all architectural white). we are now unable to do this. our client shouldnt be expected to change the settings themselves.
We should be able to contriol what we want the client to see.

perhaps there should also be a list of other shaders to activiate or deactivate for the bimx model (in addition to global illumination) with one that can be set to default, while others that we wouldnt normally use such as wireframe could be greyed out should they be left unticked.

i7-8700k 3.7-4.7GHz, 32gb RAM, GTX1080Ti 11gb, 500gb ssd, 3TB WD red, corsair water cooling, Win10 + AC21
Hans Roest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: global illumination Reply with quote

methy wrote:
[...] say for example we only wanted our client to view it in a particular way, (perhaps all architectural white). we are now unable to do this. our client shouldnt be expected to change the settings themselves.
We should be able to contriol what we want the client to see. [....]

We have the same problem with the new BIMx sinds AC20. It makes the app virtualy unusable for us, I want control over what my client is going to see / experience.

Is there a fix (comming up)?
Wokka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: global illumination Reply with quote

Yep ridiculous move to force upload etc. We use bimx often just to check models, sight lines, textures quickly and easily. Now we have to publish the thing. Takes a lot longer and we have can't change GI, shadows to ave for out clients. Why can't I just save locally!! 1 step forward, 2 steps back.. Evil or Very Mad
Google Cardboard is great, cumbersome, but getting there.. Smile

www.3de.com.au

> Windows 7 Pro 64bit
> i7 CPU 920-2.67Ghz
> 6GB RAM
> ATI Radeon HD 5700

>ArchiCad 4.55>20 AUS
>Cinema 4D R18
>VRAYforC4D R1.9
methy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: global illumination Reply with quote

you can still save bimx files locally when you publish either with the publisher or with the file menu

i7-8700k 3.7-4.7GHz, 32gb RAM, GTX1080Ti 11gb, 500gb ssd, 3TB WD red, corsair water cooling, Win10 + AC21
Wokka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: global illumination Reply with quote

methy wrote:
you can still save bimx files locally when you publish either with the publisher or with the file menu

Yep, I understand that. But why do we have to choose GI when publishing? We will often build the model, check it in Bimx, and then if OK, apply GI. If it's a complex model with lots of trees and furniture, it can take ages on some of our older machines.. It just seems they have taken away some of the flexibility... my little rant on a hot summer morning.. sorry.. Smile

www.3de.com.au

> Windows 7 Pro 64bit
> i7 CPU 920-2.67Ghz
> 6GB RAM
> ATI Radeon HD 5700

>ArchiCad 4.55>20 AUS
>Cinema 4D R18
>VRAYforC4D R1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIMx >>> global illumination All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: