Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> User Interface Wishes >>> Story settings + renovation filters Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

What's your opinion about this wish?
Essential (5)
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Important (4)
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Average (3)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not important (2)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not needed (1)
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Average: 4.00 points
Total Votes : 11

pitrak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

I know there were some older posts on this topic, but they don't adress my specific suggestion.

The current story settings are not flexible for renovation projects. We always draw the current situation with the existing story settings, but often the new story setting are different.
In that case you either have to adapt your "existing" and "to be demolished" elements to your new settings. Which is a pain, especially as you are experimenting with different story settings. Or you have to offset the height of all new elements in reference to the story settings of the exisiting construction.

It could be a lot simpler with two story settings:

1. exisiting
2. new

Obviously the new story heights should not affect 'existing' and 'to be demolished' elements!

It would be even better if we could lock new elements or layers to prevent them from changing with the story settings. But my primary wish is to have stories implemented in the renovation status logic.
pitrak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

154 views and only 2 votes? Confused
Is this a normal rate here? Or is there no interest at all in this wish?
Any suggestions to get more respons?
DGSketcher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

Democracy at work Smile

Sometimes our wishes are quite personally focussed. Whilst your own frustrations may be significant to you, the majority may not be dealing with the same issues or they may have a "workaround" to suit their circumstances. Consider your problem a challenge, draw upon the versatile strengths of AC and explore the options or even explain your problem in the open forum where you may get some pointers from those with relevant experience.

pitrak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

Hi DGSketcher,

I was under the impression that my frustrations were universal Cool
I know how to deal with changing story settings (manually, which is not very BIM-minded..), and I know a lot of AC users that are frustrated about the lack of flexibility with the AC story settings. I don't see versatile strength here. There are like 3-6 workarounds for most AC challenges, but I know none for this problem..

Anyway, I was just wondering if this was forum related (busy users, so not much interaction), or due to my post - not clear enough or too personal a wish.
I used to be a regular visitor and poster at the PPB forum (pushpullbar - forum for architecture and sketchup matters) and maybe I'm used to more interaction and faster responses.

cheers, p
Dave Jochum
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

This is absolutely essential for architects involved with renovations. If you have a single story house to which you are adding a second story, there is no reasonable (BIM) way to properly show the existing UPPER PLATE story morphing to UPPER FLOOR story with an added UPPER PLATE story (one level higher than the original).
MBP 15" Retina+30" 2nd monitor•16GB•SSD•OS X 10.12.5•AC 21 (latest build)

Last edited by Dave Jochum on Thu May 04, 2017 2:32 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Dave Jochum
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

pitrak, the workaround I use is very ugly un-BIM--a combination of patch fills and 2D text and line work. Sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
pitrak

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

Well, seems like we'll have to wait another year!
No story settings update in AC21.

Looking forward to seeing al the new tools in detail. And still hoping for more powerful and flexibel story settings in AC22. Or 23 Confused
Split-levels, redefining story settings without changes in the outer shell, renovation story settings, ... It could all be a lot easier than it is now.
Dave Jochum
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

pitrak wrote:
Well, seems like we'll have to wait another year!
No story settings update in AC21.

Split-levels, redefining story settings without changes in the outer shell, renovation story settings, ... It could all be a lot easier than it is now.

I completely agree.

alemanda
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

What I'm saying is just brainstorming and I don't have archicad in front of me and I never tried what I'm going to suggest.
My idea is to draw the existing project and save it as pln, then open it as hotlink in a new pln where the story setting is different and add all the new element ... The elements saved as references to the story setting should adjust automatically to the levels of the host file, no?
Could it work?

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
pitrak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Story settings + renovation filters Reply with quote

Hi Alemanda,

I must have missed your reply here. I'm not very familiar with hotlinking, but I think you have to reference everything in the hotlink to one story in the pln. If not, it will translate to the story settings of the base pln. Right?

And you cannot change the renovation status of the elements in the hotlink. So you could add things, but not demolish certain parts.

So it's quite flawed as a workaround I'm afraid.

In the meanwhile, I'm working on another renovation in which a story height will probably change!

GTX 1070 - 2560x1440 32"
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> User Interface Wishes >>> Story settings + renovation filters All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: