Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIM Managers >>> Full-project database / tinkering with the pln script?
View previous topic :: View next topic
zoli79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Full-project database / tinkering with the pln script? Reply with quote

This is one of my frustrations and I am wondering if anyone has any solution for it.
Problem 1. As far as I know ArchiCAD can't search across full project, only from floor plans. Same goes for schedules. If you have hundreds of details, sections, elevations, so on, that can be a problem.
Problem 2. Library manager does not tell me where the selected library element is placed. Or did I miss something? (If it's in an attribute it does tell me the surface name e.g.)

Here are two real-life tasks that illustrate the problem:
TaskA.
I come up with a new pen set and I want to replace all lines using #123 to use # 3. Again: I have hundreds of details. (With other attribute types this is not a big issue: delete and replace)

TaskB
I am converting my AC 20 template file to 21. I get a dozen or two elements (with a few hundred placed instances) from the migration library. Call me an idiot, but I do not want anything loaded from the migration library in the template file. So in some cases I might replace objects, markers, notes etc. manually / semi-manually. But first I need to know where they are. If they are on floor plans: very nice, if they aren't, then I have a very frustrating job for weeks...

Anyone has any solution for these? I would imagine that someone knowledgeable in scripting could open the pln in script format and tinker with the DNA. Smile Is that possible? If so, I would consider outsourcing the task. But of course it would be better, if there were an option for the rest of us architects without hacking skills. Smile

Has this been covered in another thread? I did take some time to search, but no results.

daninet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Full-project database / tinkering with the pln script? Reply with quote

For the B thing you can schedule the elements (if you are talking about objects) and put the home story and layer in the schedule. From there you can quickly select them. Do it in 3D window so you can replace them in bunch. For 2D object you have to go story-by-story.

You can filter the name of the object to have the previous archicad version in it, in migration library the objects are named like this as I remember correctly : "Window 19"
So just put in the filter to have 19 in the name and it will list all object.
zoli79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Full-project database / tinkering with the pln script? Reply with quote

I might have not expressed myself clearly enough, but the problem is that the schedule only reports objects that were placed in the model - or how to put it. Items that can be seen on a floor plan.
The problem is that many objects are placed on details, worksheets, and the schedule does not report those objects. Unless I've missed something.

ejrolon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Full-project database / tinkering with the pln script? Reply with quote

You are correct, only objects placed in the model will show up in the schedule. By definition worksheets and details are "dumb" views which convert Model Data to 2D elements (lines and fills) which cannot be part of the schedule.
AC21US -> AC08
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> BIM Managers >>> Full-project database / tinkering with the pln script? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: