Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Drafting Wishes >>> Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Gap at Corner or Wrap?
Gap
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Wrap
98%
 98%  [ 87 ]
Average: N/A
Total Votes : 88

andyro
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

Again, autocad does this, we need to have this too! It makes for better 2D printed graphic qualities, a box drawn with a dashed line with gaps on corners looks nowhere near as good as when the dashes wrap - and this must apply to all 347 conditions in the model, not just once, which is why shifting the linetype isn't a satisfactory workaround....!
~/archiben

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

how do you control it though? do you squeeze the gap/dash proportions, or introduce a 'linetype origin' in the way that fills also have origins?

not disagreeing, just wanting to know how the solution you propose to deal with it works . . .

~/archiben

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
andyro
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

how does autocad do this? by shifting dashed lines so that line falls on corners preferentially, on as many corners as possible given the spacing? or by placing a corner 1/2 the dash length on all corners wherever the rest of the dashes fall?

I will check and post again...

TomWaltz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

Again, the point of a poll is not "do you want this" it's "do you want this badly enough to to forego other requests."

I doubt anyone would say they prefer the "gaps" at the end, but how badly do they want the alternative?

Leave the default options!

Keith JAW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

Oh yes please.

I am gradually working through all my line types (and all the scaled variations of them) and editing them so that they begin with a dash instead of a gap.

This solves the problem, but on short lines it sometimes removes all the gaps as well!
KeesW
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

Why would anyone choose to have a gap? This being the case, why not have archicad draw it this way as a default? Oh, the hungarian mind sometimes puzzles me! Surprised
Laptop: Archicad 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Win10 64 Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB NVidia GT 540M
Iain Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

Dashed lines that do not meet at the end are universally recognised as bad draughtsmanship. In the old days they even crossed a little, like all line junctions.

Until reading this subject I hadn't realised that it was actually the ArchiCAD default. This is hard to understand, since it always gives drawings a characteristic (and unwanted) limpness. Meanwhile I'll take up Keith Jaw's clever tip.

Iain

andyro
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

I noticed that in the new 2172 build this has been implemented! Thanks GS!!!

Andy

TomWaltz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

andyro wrote:
I noticed that in the new 2172 build this has been implemented! Thanks GS!!!

Andy

They did? Mine still gap at the corners.

andyro
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! Reply with quote

maybe it's a pc-only thing?

oops! BTW, this is a very low-res PDF quickie, so there is a funny little tail on the corners, higher res. doesn't do this)

A

wrap.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wrap.pdf
 Filesize:  10.17 KB
 Downloaded:  1153 Time(s)

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Drafting Wishes >>> Dashed Lines That Wrap rather than Gap at Corners! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: