Search the Knowledge Base Report a bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view   .    ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Annotation Wishes >>> Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

What's your opinion about this wish?
Essential (5)
44%
 44%  [ 21 ]
Important (4)
42%
 42%  [ 20 ]
Average (3)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Not Important (2)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Not Needed (1)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Average: 4.28 points
Total Votes : 47

Jay Rennemeyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

I would like to have the zone tags be able to list the room length and width. Most clients have no clue when you tell them a room is 500 square feet, but they have a better idea when you tell them a room is 20' x 25'. Even in a room with jogs in it, it still gives the client a better idea of the room size.
Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, SP3
AC10-1188, AC11-1210, AC12-2325
No longer using ArchiCAD
Karl Ottenstein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to vote on this one, Jay... since zones can have any shape. What dimensions should be displayed for an L-shaped zone for example?

Karl

Matthew Lohden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

I would like this even if it only worked on rectilinear zones. The non-rectangular zone is clearly a problem.

I have been working on a zone stamp to do this but it hasn't been a priority in my current work load so it remains unfinished until a job cries out for it.

MacPro 8core 32GB Radeon 5870
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, XP32, Win 7x64
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Djordje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

Karl Ottenstein wrote:
I'm not sure how to vote on this one, Jay... since zones can have any shape. What dimensions should be displayed for an L-shaped zone for example?

The longest dimensions - the bounding box of L.

I agree with Jay - clients like to know that their rooms are AxB, even if they really are not, and have no concept of the area or the dimensioning.

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... currently 20 Win7Pro

Last edited by Djordje on Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message    LinkedIn Profile Link (Full URL, please)
Jay Rennemeyer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

Karl Ottenstein wrote:
Karl

I'll take the maximum length and width. Even if it has a chunk taken out of it, the client will still have a better idea of the room size than just having the area.

Windows XP Pro, Version 2002, SP3
AC10-1188, AC11-1210, AC12-2325
No longer using ArchiCAD
Stephen Dolbee
Veteran member
Veteran member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

I agree.

Steve

Daniel Knudson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

Hey Matthew, has that zone stamp you've been working on become a priority for you yet? I could sure use a marker that displayed zone width and legth, and I'm amazed that there is still no marker with this capabilty to be found.
Tom Krowka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

Hear hear!!!!! I'm going to vote several time on this one to skew the results to must have right now!!!!
Tom Krowka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

Hear hear!!!!! I'm going to vote several time on this one to skew the results to must have right now!!!!
TomWaltz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Zone Tags Should List Length And Width Reply with quote

This actually falls into a much broader category that Karl, Matthew, myself, and others have long lamented, that neither GDL not the API allows full access to Archicad element variables and environment settings.

All we would really need for this to become possible is access to the array of points used to create a Zone, but the GDL system does not provide access to these values. If we had those points, the algebraic methods of determining maximum width and length would almost be trivial.

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view       ArchiCAD-Talk Forum Index >>> Annotation Wishes >>> Zone Tags Should List Length And Width All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: