The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions closely related to ARCHICAD. (Example: Do we need a Linux version of ARCHICAD?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy, mtron, Csaba Kézér

By ejrolon
KrisM wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:52 pm
As a contrary point of view, I find the amount of clicks in Revit to be less than Archicad. Also the selection of objects in Revit is much faster than AC. For example, if you place the cursor over a door in Rvt, you get instant selection as opposed to AC in which you have to find the magic spot to get selection.
Another slight difference, when drawing a line, wall etc. in Rvt, you get an inference (corner etc) instantly while in AC, you have to wait for a fraction of a second to get the inference. I initially found this quite frustrating but have learned to slow down a bit.
As far as accuracy goes, both programs have their hurdles to overcome and inaccuracy is principally user error.
I think that Matthew (welcome back) refers more to activating tools not necessarily selecting objects and having used both I have the opposite problem to your advantage. The inference corner delay you can fix by either editing your W/E so that the delay is 0 or by assigning a keyboard shortcut to activate it instantly (this is the one I prefer because then I have greater control). About the wait for view regeneration, AC views are not "live" and that is the reason for the delay, point to Revit.
By Richard Morrison
ejrolon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:12 pm
About the wait for view regeneration, AC views are not "live" and that is the reason for the delay, point to Revit.
I don't do projects where it is an issue, but I thought that the "background processing" introduced in AC19 was pretty much supposed to take care of this.
By ejrolon
Background updating works if you have the Tab open so that one lessens the issue but in Rvt you can have 4 windows open at the same time and they are constantly updating which AC cannot do. It is a subtle detail and IMO it can slow down a project to unacceptable levels.
By KrisM
I have set the W/E selection time to 0 secs. You still watch Archicad draw the circle around your inference point. Revit does not do this., nor Autocad or a number of other programs. If anyone has a way to lessen this, it would be great. It is a minor thing. I never thought about using a shortcut. I will explore this.
By ejrolon
With the shortcut you don't have to wait and as a bonus if you hit the shortcut on top of one of the blue circles it removes it.
By Ohcad
oh folks,

Waiting for new projects to start up, so i am testing out (again) ArchiCAD. Coming from Revit since 2013 seems like a millennia of time spent on families and all manner of curious things. But in many aspects am in awe of features . . . however, try doing it on an iMac!

Hence my curiosity : :

Also getting tired of renting Revit (after all two years of what the full version of Revit takes out of my pocket = buying ArchiCAD eh?) and not freaking out about the $225/monthly rental when the phone isn't ringing makes me like being an owner.

But i digress; i shall post things as i see them in comparison between these two amazing softwares.

First thing that hit me (years ago when i first got student version of Revit for $150 hee hee); was that I liked very much the Architectural mindset that created ArchiCAD; especially in comparison to the way Revit appears to be created by a room full of Engineers. Certainly powerful but oy vei the steps involved >> give me push/pull please (I first got form•Z in 1992 and MiniCAD to do the CD's. So i go waaaaay back. But always on a Mac and often doing visualization.

Nowadays nobody hires me to do that, so i make submittals and construction documents utilizing BIM. Every once in a while i get to visualize in raytracing but that is rare.

Second thing i see regarding ArchiCAD ; is site creation (blessings to see poly lines instead of points (revit). But Revit does make creating a site model rather less of a fuss and love the site survey point & project point metaphor. Also like the ability to easily go back and forth on true north in Revit. Seems more involved over here folks.

Nice to hear your thoughts after those Revitoids :-)

More later . . .
RO
Ohcad wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 am
... true north in Revit ...

Fantastic !

I love this kind of subtlety in Revit. If we agree to a true north then what about "other" north? The question seems absurd and it is. there is only one in the world, only one, the other is not north
By DGSketcher
UK mapping has three values for North. True North - The North Pole, Magnetic North - Where a compass points and Grid North - Relates to the National Grid mapping system which was based on perfect squares. I haven't swotted up recently on how GPS impacts these options. There may be some scope for error between survey systems. :)
Nobody builds from the model but from the 2D deliverables. The idea of ​​getting 100% dynamic 2D deliverables by the model seems to me more important than to play with concepts of North that do not contribute anything to the project. And finaly no one understands the operating rules of this labyrinthine system any more.

I invite you to imagine this type of consideration before launching the GPS in your car

The art of confusing what is simple