The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions closely related to Archicad. (Example: Do we need a Linux version of Archicad?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy, mtron, mnguyen, Csaba Kézér

Kristian Bursell wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:10 pm
I don’t believe Revit has a very long life left and signs point to fact that Autodesk are looking for something else. Without Dynamo Revit probably would have died a few years ago.

As far as I would like to agree, at least here in Spain it´s very far from truth. Nearly everyone here who uses BIM software uses Revit, many times using pirated or educational versions, and even in public contracts RVT format is demanded. Autodesk has a very firm grip in the business here, and it will be a very long road to gaining market share for other softwares, I´m afraid :cry:
Jp1138 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:05 am
Kristian Bursell wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:10 pm
I don’t believe Revit has a very long life left and signs point to fact that Autodesk are looking for something else. Without Dynamo Revit probably would have died a few years ago.

As far as I would like to agree, at least here in Spain it´s very far from truth. Nearly everyone here who uses BIM software uses Revit, many times using pirated or educational versions, and even in public contracts RVT format is demanded. Autodesk has a very firm grip in the business here, and it will be a very long road to gaining market share for other softwares, I´m afraid :cry:
This comes as a surprise, i would have thought that in Spain and Portugal Archicad would have more ground.

Also, i think that as a group (Architects), we need to grow a pair and stop letting clients and government and most certainly consultants dictate which software we use. I see a lot of responses on the internet of folks that only use Revit "because their consultants and engineers use Revit" and want to make it easy for them. Come on you people!

In any case it should be the other way around. It´s like if in the old times they came and said "hey, you must use Staedler pens instead of Rottring pens for your drawings". I dont think any self respecting architect would have complied to a request like that in those times, and i dont see a reason why we have to do it now.
Last edited by jl_lt on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here in Portugal, local authorities can only ask for open proprietary file formats (dxf/dwg) and pdf for drawings/documents.
About Archicad popularity among AEC: I don't have the statistics, but I have the impression that the great majority of Architects use Archicad or 2d Autocad, Engineers use CYPE with 2d dxf/dwg output for drawings; and bread and butter Contractors: a single crumpled paper set of 1:100 scale permit drawings for the entire construction.
Braza wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:59 pm
Here in Portugal, local authorities can only ask for open proprietary file formats (dxf/dwg) and pdf for drawings/documents.
About Archicad popularity among AEC: I don't have the statistics, but I have the impression that the great majority of Architects use Archicad or 2d Autocad, Engineers use CYPE with 2d dxf/dwg output for drawings; and bread and butter Contractors: a single crumpled paper set of 1:100 scale permit drawings for the entire construction.

In Spain there´s a lot of controversy in the matter of open standards, as the law is interpreted in different ways, but the truth is that proprietary formats, basically RVT, are commonly asked in public contracts :shock: