The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modeling and drafting in Archicad. (Example: How can I model a Roof soffit/fascia?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

By vfrontiers
Not sure where to post what these days.... but I'm looking for a parametric OPEN WEB TRUSS object. The kind with the WOOD TOP and BOTTOM chords and steel tube webbing...
By Barry Kelly
Not sure if this is exactly what you are after, but have you tried the 'Metal Web Joist' object?
web_truss.jpg
web_truss.jpg (152.25 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Otherwise I am sure you are aware of the 'Trussmaker add-on (not parametric).

Barry
By vfrontiers
Thanks Barry...
I did see that one... Can't quite get what I want out of it...
I did however, dust off the old TRUSSMAKER... I like it... but wish that it could support different shapes and materials for the CHORDS and the WEBBING... I just did them all as SQUARE TUBE and made the webbing THINNER... Looks great in SECTION (don't miss that the webs aren't circular)... and it passes the squint test in 3d...
By DGSketcher
I make my trusses using complex profiles these days and add them into the model as short beams. If you need different section profiles you could merge two or more beams. Or you could form them properly with beams and save as a module (HLM). If only we had an in place editor...
By Erwin Edel
This does sound like something you could achieve with Param-O.

I've yet to sink my teeth in to that, but I've seen some clips from our reseller on LinkedIn that look quite promising!

Another option that sometimes works is Curtain Wall tool.

I had to make a space frame for an existing (renovation) building a while back and I was able to combine the simple 3D form objects into a module and copy these around.

And finally 'just' regular GDL if you are any good with it.
By vfrontiers
DGSketcher wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:23 am I make my trusses using complex profiles these days and add them into the model as short beams. If you need different section profiles you could merge two or more beams. Or you could form them properly with beams and save as a module (HLM). If only we had an in place editor...
Same here... but my PROFILE EDITOR gets really LONG... wish we could FOLDERIZE / ORGANIZE that list!...
By vfrontiers
One of the largest drawbacks in using TRUSSMAKER is that because everything is defined by CENTERLINE, the resulting object has no NODES at corners.. This makes placement more difficult. Pretty much have to use sections to get proper placement..

FWIW...