The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions about any other product with no dedicated forum - MEP Modeler, ARCHICAD Goodies, 3rd-party Add-Ons, operating systems, products of other vendors, etc. (Example: Which Add-On is the best for creating special Stairs?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

By psimun
Hi,
Are there any plugins for ArchiCAD that provide mesh/polygon optimization?
(Similar to skimp inside SketchUp)
Thanks
By Christophe Fortineau
Hi,

Archicad is a BIM software not a modeling software
That means you have to use BIM object into your BIM project
These objects are made to have less polygons than a modeling project
If you search the heavy polygons object in your project you'll see that it does not deals with your building
I invite you to optimise your object with C4D or an other software and then replace your object with less polygon than before

Or Hide then ;)

I use C4D and "Polygon Reduction" to optimise my AC objects if they are too heavy
By psimun
Hi Christophe,

Thanks for your comments.
I sometimes import other 3rd party objects into archicad, but can really bog down the file.
I was hoping to avoid purchasing an additional piece of software for optimization, but this maybe unavoidable.
By psimun
Yes i have bought some of their tree volumes. They are great, but don't work very well with BIMx,
because of their transparency map.
By Barry Kelly
Christophe Fortineau wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 am
About transparency I invite you to use BimX LAB which works even more better about it
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bimx-lab/id1305827964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2lXEhsmNU4
Don't forget that BIMx Lab is just a trial for features they hope to incorporate into the existing BIMx / BIMx Pro apps.

Barry.
By David Maudlin
psimun wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:14 am
I sometimes import other 3rd party objects into archicad, but can really bog down the file.
I was hoping to avoid purchasing an additional piece of software for optimization, but this maybe unavoidable.
If you convert the 3rd party Objects to Morph, you can use the Modify Segments command to reduce the number of polygons.

David
By David Maudlin
Christophe Fortineau wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm
David Maudlin wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 pm
you can use the Modify Segments command to reduce the number of polygons.
Can you explain how to do this please ?
Select the Morph, then select the Modify Segments command, in the dialog box select Fewer Segments. Check the result in the 3D Window, and use the PolyCount palette to keep track of the number of polygons. Repeat until the Morph is too rough for its purpose in 3D and use the Undo command to go back one step. The resulting Morph can be saved as an Object if desired.

David