The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Discussions about any other product with no dedicated forum - MEP Modeler, Archicad Goodies, 3rd-party Add-Ons, operating systems, products of other vendors, etc. (Example: Which Add-On is the best for creating special Stairs?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

By Moonlight
@bouhmidage

I see this as useless for the following reasons:
1. IFC is already the file format with similar capability + its open source, not vender specific as SAF is, and if you went to buildingsmart site, you will be able to see more BIM + CAD programs that can import and export IFC files. while SAF is only accepted by 10 program vender as maximum.

2. Most of the MEP equipments and connections are govern by the spaces they serve, and by the requirements of local regulations, so either way you will have to export project's spaces configuration and distribution, which would be either by using the original program's file, or through IFC ....
If you're going to use original files, then there is no need to use SAF, as the two programs will be able to communicate with each other directly, and if you're going to use IFC, then again you don't need SAF for nothing, since it's already exporting the geometry and data not only of the equipments but everything (almost everything you're using).

3. Then again you insisted on the point that equipment's node would carry the data for MEP connections, and again I tell you, I quick checked SAF site, and I couldn't find information about MEP what so ever, but it had information on structural connections, so SAF NEEDS TO INCLUDE MEP NODE SPECIFICATIONS FIRST, then the other programs to ADOPT IT, to make your idea viable. You simple can't put the cart before the horse.

4. I´m not familiar of different MEP design, calculation and modelling programs, except for Revit & CYPE, and both from my point of view can handle the data exchange with ArchiCAD using IFC, which will include geometry and data, cause in that case, you will have a combination of IFC project models (Architectural, Structural, Engineering), and in that case with an 80% of certainty, who ever made the Architectural model will not model the MEP system in ArchiCAD, and even then exporting/importing an IFC of the required model would do the trick.

5. ArchiCAD should set a number of reserved parameters for MEP, and right now, what is available is too low, and if we are going to talk about Electrical Equipments the shortage is stark.
Last edited by Moonlight on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By bouhmidage
this will not replace the IFC model exchange format, but an addition to it, the IFC SAV format which is experimental now, inspired me , to mimic the same idea but for MEP. a combination between IFC and a new smart and lightweight format
By Moonlight
bouhmidage wrote:@moonlight
Do you work with ddscad ? Does mergi g ddscad and archicad will bring some benefits ?
Sorry @bouhmidage, I have never had the chance to work with DDSCAD
By A. Smith
one more thing. MEP pipes. When I chose "MEP system" pipe and elbow have different settings from tee. Could you place "MEP system" option on the same (first) tab?
Attachments
mep_system.png
mep_system.png (374.92 KiB) Viewed 351 times
By Moonlight
29. I have observed lately that the MEP colour coded system doesn't apply to terimal equipment, only pipes and ducts, and I think that the colour coding should also apply to them.

30. Many MEP equipments may have connection to different MEP systems, for example, a central HVAC equipments are require a water intake outlet and a connection to a drain beside the ducts, so in this case we may require that those equipments may adopt colour coding of any of MEP equipment
By A. Smith
MEP_isolation should be transferred to inline objects (IO) too. Honestly, when you have pipes with isolation and inserted IO it looks a bit ugly.

Would be nice if there was the possibility to apply for all selected elements (not by choosing each category of elements separately - pipes, elbows, tees, IO, but for all of them) to :
1. Change the diameter (ConWidth_1 for selection) - of course, in that case, everything that was selected (even if different diameters) became with the same dimension.
2. Add isolation. It's more convenient to add it after routing, placing inline objects. Applies the same isolation (thickness, material) for selected different pipe/ducts diameter.
3. Change MEP system.
By A. Smith
You should expand the possibility of pipe settings for each system type. For example, in a project I have different types of pipes, which can have different lengths of the tubes - for heating one piece of a tube can be 50, 100; but sewer pipes only 3m, 6m. It's not convenient to change max_lenght several times if I want precise tubes specification. I mean if I draw a straight tube 50m for heating, domestic hot and cold water it should be one piece, but if it's sewerage it should consist of 8 x 6m + 2m pipes (if 6m length is maximum).
By vdentello
A. Smith wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:18 am You should expand the possibility of pipe settings for each system type. For example, in a project I have different types of pipes, which can have different lengths of the tubes - for heating one piece of a tube can be 50, 100; but sewer pipes only 3m, 6m. It's not convenient to change max_lenght several times if I want precise tubes specification. I mean if I draw a straight tube 50m for heating, domestic hot and cold water it should be one piece, but if it's sewerage it should consist of 8 x 6m + 2m pipes (if 6m length is maximum).
Totally agree on that and:
Captura de tela 2021-02-19 134045.png
Captura de tela 2021-02-19 134045.png (59.91 KiB) Viewed 48 times
I would add the Option to make custom Bends selectable and also their angles.
As long as they meet the GDL standard parameter criteria, of course.
By Aaron Bourgoin
What about the M - E - P equivalent of the Steel Shapes Menu. Here in Canada, for example, it's likely that we use both metric and imperial product.

Construction goes to the International market when necessary: a new building beside my office here in Toronto sourced steel columns from Spain for the caisson work.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 12.34.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 12.34.53 PM.png (560.3 KiB) Viewed 41 times