The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Tips and tricks, suggestions, problems. (regularly monitored by Administrators)

Moderators: Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, gkmethy, apolgar, GSHQfadmin

Erich,
My browser allows me to sign in automatically and if I have
my user name be my Archicad user name and my pass word
be my license number I would sign in the usual way.
If someones browser does not have this capability then they
would have to sign in in the way they do now which would mean
copying the number from a text document and pasting it into
the pass word field in the sign in page. This does not
require either AC be loaded or the presence of the dongle.
I hope I understand what you are asking.
Peter Devlin
I just read Brett's statement:
"You would only have to put in the key number when you first register."
I was not thinking of this as a one time entry but why not.
All forum members at initial registration could use any user name
and pass word they wanted but at that time they would have to
enter there Archicad user name and license number and thereafter
the data is associated. This does not solve the new user using AC
in Demo mode problem but it might solve the edu version license issue
because when a student is issued a student license Graphisoft
has the student's name associated with a license number and
if someone other than the person who has that number assigned
to them tries to use the number it would trigger an automatic block.
This assumes that the names and numbers are not published together.
I don't know how university web sites work. If a spammer obtains
a student license pretending to be a student and posts spam here
Graphisoft has all the information needed to ban that individual
and or cancel that license.

As to the those of us who have user names and passwords, we would
have to re-register and enter our AC user name and license number.
A small price to pay to get rid of this junk and let our over worked
moderators get back to what they would rather be doing.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
I had thought of the dongle number, but wonder what happens with large firms? Personnel changes, network dongles, how would that be resolved?
You might have a SINGLE section that newbies (trial users) could post in without a current license. All others would be for actual users with a dongle number. (Any dongle number would probably be fine for large offices with multiple users.) and would be read-only for the non-licensed. This could cut the spam down by an enormous percentage.
By Bier Designs
Can't this web site filter out (delete) the BN_.. spam entries automatically?
Six is one morning?
Bier
is it something like this ?
2019-04-03_13-09-58.png
Steve Jepson wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:16 pm
is it something like this ?

2019-04-03_13-09-58.png

The first and third are software analytic bots... Majestic is apparently a UK based search engine. Pretty sure this thread not about those, but accounts that are used to post things completely unrelated to AC.

Ling.
I have no idea what a bot is or if I would be something that could cause a problem with my computer when I access this forum. I just thought is was curious that they show up on as users on line. If they are here on this forum does that mean they could be generating spam to my computer? I would guess that those user ID's indicate that there is special kind of "forum spambot" that is active on this forum ? No?
Steve Jepson wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 pm
I have no idea what a bot is or if I would be something that could cause a problem with my computer when I access this forum. I just thought is was curious that they show up on as users on line. If they are here on this forum does that mean they could be generating spam to my computer? I would guess that those user ID's indicate that there is special kind of "forum spambot" that is active on this forum ? No?
These bots (automated processes, 'robots') can do nothing to you. They crawl sites on the internet for search engines, analysis purposes, etc.

No spam here is ever "on your computer" ... it is here, on the cloud. If a spammer includes a link that doesn't get filtered away and you click on it, then, yeah, you might install something nasty on your computer if you don't have antivirus, firewall, etc. But, we do are best to get rid of all spam as quickly as we can - and I'm not aware of any spam ever lasting more than a few hours before one of the moderators gets rid of it.

I can't say how we determine spam, because we've seen some clever stuff going on and I don't want to give say anything to encourage more spammers to use the same methods. I can only say that your dutiful moderators, along with forum software and user reports, are on it 24/7. :-)

In any case, nothing here can cause a problem on your computer unless you blindly click on a link - which is the case for any web link. A bot crawling this site has no access to your computer.
Very good. Thanks.