The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modeling and drafting in Archicad. (Example: How can I model a Roof soffit/fascia?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

By vfrontiers
Over the last couple of weeks (maybe more)... the Layouts in my project have become insanely slow... Simply trying to PAN can lag in the area of 15sec... Trying to SELECT and move a drawing on the layout even more...

Even just trying to add a Text Label onto the layout is excruciating.

Are there any tips or avenues for me to pursue to diagnose this?

These are NOT updating problems... this is happening AFTER I've already waited 1 to 2 min for a sheet of sections to update...

I cannot determine if this is happening OUTSIDE of TEAMWORK... I'll try and check that out sometime this week.

Yes, certain drawings, such as site plans are somewhat 2d intensive (lots of fills, etc)... But this seems MUCH slower than I recall.
By LaszloNagy
Here is something you can try:

In the Drawing Manager, you can select all Drawings placed on Layouts, go to their Drawing Settings Dialog, and set the "On-Screen Preview" field from "Full Precision" to "Quick Preview" so those 2D-heavy Drawings take much less time to redraw.
That may help to speed it up a little bit.
By vfrontiers
I did try that... without much success... really had to go to NO PREVIEW to be workable...

I'll keep an eye on it....
By mnguyen
Hello Duane,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry about the experience!

Before diving deeper into the technical detail, I would like to ask whether the problem only happens in Teamwork or it also happens if you save the project as a solo file and work on it in solo mode? This will help us to understand whether the slowness comes from Teamwork operations or from the project itself.

Thank you very much for your help. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Best regards,
Minh
By Erwin Edel
Some suggestions from past experience: in the past I've noticed that views placed on layouts can be much slower than the actual view opened for editing.

Especially imported 2D files can have thousands of duplicate lines that bring layout to a crawl.

Things like tree 'symbols' from 3rd party site drawings or imported details from manufacturers have had loads of sloppy drafting / duplicate lines.

Sometimes having too much on a single worksheet (like having all the 2D details for a project on one single worksheet) is also too much.