The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modeling and drafting in Archicad. (Example: How can I model a Roof soffit/fascia?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

By Lumpy8
Has anybody created a Geodesic Dome Model in Archicad 23? I need to model a 40' 3/5 dome and haven't found resources to assist. thx
By DGSketcher
Try searching YouTube I have seen some amazing modelling on there that can be done with the curtain wall tool.
By Erwin Edel
I've had to model a dome ages ago and found a video for sketchup that was easy enough to use for defining all the triangles using morph/roof/curtain wall in archicad.

It showed the principles of how to determine the shape and triangles quite clear.

Edit: those videos were on youtube too.
By Steve Jepson
Lumpy8 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:54 pm Has anybody created a Geodesic Dome Model in Archicad 23? I need to model a 40' 3/5 dome and haven't found resources to assist. thx
It's all about the connectors. Select the appropriate connector system for your project, then model the structure with ArchiCAD parts/objects for that specific system. You may need to make some of your own library parts.
1456951382.jpg
1456951382.jpg (156.04 KiB) Viewed 149 times

https://www.sonostarhub.com/pages/stand ... calculator
2021-02-23_11-12-58.png
2021-02-23_11-12-58.png (505.91 KiB) Viewed 138 times
You can convert this .skp into a morph after you import it to ArchiCAD. Merge the morph parts for the connectors together and save as .gsm ( add hot spots where needed) model the struts with beams. ? Show us what you are making ?
By Steve Jepson
Lumpy8 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:54 pm Has anybody created a Geodesic Dome Model in Archicad 23? I need to model a 40' 3/5 dome and haven't found resources to assist. thx

Keep in mind that if you are making Construction Drawings/Plans for such a building that the geometry is only part of what you need to consider. Another important aspect of such Plans will be to design it for as many prefabricated and uniform parts as possible. That will result in some useful deviations from the rational geometry for the sake of fit and function in some important places. This depends on what the building is going to be used for of course. A careful review of the kits for this kind of building will certainly be helpful if you are making Working Drawings and Interactive Schedules for this kind of structure. It would be nice if you could show us what you're making. I think this is an interesting project.