The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modelling and drafting in ARCHICAD. (Example: How can I model a Roof soffit/fascia?)

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

By LaszloNagy
I figured out how to do it.
It is indeed the way you say it Barry, the Stair must be turned back parallel to its length at the top.
In the next posts I will detail it. But this is the final result:

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop.png
By LaszloNagy
First of all, set all the important parameters in the Settings Dialog before starting to create the Stair, including number of Treads and the "Winder with Equal Angles" option, with 2 Goings.

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-2.png

Then I think it is a good idea to draw the outlines of how the Stair should look in the floor Plan, which will help when drawing the Stair Baseline. So I drew it with red on the right.

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-3.png
By LaszloNagy
We can now start drawing the Stair Baseline. All Baseline segments will be Flight Segments.
The Stair Baseline should be on the outside boundary of the Stair.
Now, here are some GIFs (click on them to play). In the first one you will see that I try to draw the Baseline along the outer boundary, but it does not give the correct result because I run out of Treads before I could turn the Stair back 180 degrees.

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-4.gif
By LaszloNagy
So what we can do is something which I was told about by Marta Molnar from GRAPHISOFT HQ.
I make the Stair shorter so I can turn it back 180 degrees, then I modify the Baseline polygon to the desired shape (Click image to play GIF).

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-5.gif

At the end of the GIF you can see that the Walking Line is not correct, but we will handled that later.
By LaszloNagy
Now, we select the Stair in 3D and enter Edit Mode.
We select the Stair Structure, and use our little-known little friend, the Split Stair Structure command from the context menu, then split the Stair at its last Riser.
This way the Structure below the last Tread can be independently set and we will be able to turn it OFF, along with the Riser and Tread (Click image to play GIF).

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-6.gif
By LaszloNagy
While still in Edit Mode, we can now simply select the separate Stair Structure under the top step and turn it OFF. We can do the same with the Tread and Riser. (Click image to play GIF.)

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-7.gif
By LaszloNagy
So now we have achieved the desired 3D of the Stair.
All we need to do is fix up the Floor Plan Display of the Stair.

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-8.png
By LaszloNagy
We need to go to edit mode and modify the Walking Line polyline, and possibly the Numbers (each can be individually selected, moved and rotated), plus the "DOWN" text.
This is the result, which is almost perfect, except for the fact that it is not possible to hide the Floor Plan representation of that last Tread which we hid in 3D. Unfortunately, this is a limitation, because the Stair Grid is generated automatically, and it is not possible to individually select and hide Tread edges and Riser lines.

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-9.png
By LaszloNagy
So, all I could do is to take an old trick and just cover that last Tread on the Floor Plan with a Fill that has the same background as the Floor Plan Viewpoint. This is the final result:

Stair-2Winders-45DegreeWinderAtTop-10.png