The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Visual appeal, Interactions (Navigate, Select, Edit, Input), User Interface Components...

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Gordana Radonic, nbalogh, mnguyen, gkmethy

What is your opinion about this Wish?

Essential
43%
Important
29%
Average
14%
Not Important
No votes
0%
Not Needed
14%
I disagree. I think this is only a matter of what method you are used to.
In Archicad, you both add to the selection and remove from the selection using the SHIFT key. You know that if the SHIFT-clicked element is not selected, it will be added to the selection; if it is already selected, then it will be removed from the selection.
In other programs, people are used to using two different keys for the two tasks. When I am using such a program, it feels unintuitive to me.

So I am not saying one is better than the other, I am saying that if you are used to one method that is the one that will feel natural.
Shift-click is not an issue, it is more the inconvenience of the selection marquee when trying to select multiple groups of grouped items. There is less need for it in AC when compared to a program like AutoCAD or Sketchup though since there is rarely a need to select individual lines / faces.

Ling.
I disagree as well :-)

yes you are right many things are "getting used to" things....and i am used to it since Archicad 6.0, but still I think in a very crowded ground floor for example, this method slows me down. with separate shortcuts I could be sure, that it wont accidentally deselect one of my current selected items but adds to it, so I could work much faster and coarser.
I strongly support Stefhannes' wish and honestly, don't understand people who don't understand how such shortcut comparison would be convenient sometimes.
I also came here from SketchUp and I miss its selection capabilities a lot. Have been using ArchiCAD for over two years now and still can't get used to.
For me current selection behaviour is so frustrating that I created exactly the same wish a week after yours, not realizing that there was one already. So, because my wish is basically a duplicate of yours, I vote for ESSENTIAL and I would give a thousand votes if I could. Nothing in ArchiCAD irritates me as much as this - lack of treating selection as a mathematical set that you could just add or remove elements from. Now we can only REVERSE selection which makes zero sense to me.
Guys, believe me. I tried. I did my best to work out a habit but it just didn't work.
Say, I selected a bunch of elements. Now I want to extend the selection but if there are many elements in the drawing, I have a high chance of accidentally deselecting elements I already carefully selected. Then I end up adding the deselected elements back, one by one. Totally frustrating.
For me this is number one missing feature in ArchiCAD.