The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Visual appeal, Interactions (Navigate, Select, Edit, Input), User Interface Components...

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
53%
Important (4)
35%
Average (3)
6%
Not important (2)
6%
Not needed (1)
No votes
0%
The addition of shadows to OpenGL is very nice, but the lack of easy control makes it's use tedious. There are several issues that need changing.

1 -We need to control the on/off switch for OpenGL and Internal independently. It is typical to position the model in OpenGL and switch to Internal of screen shots. The shadows slow OpenGL down to the point I end up leaving it off, then have to open the panel to turn them on in Internal mode or just to check the shadows in OpenGL, which brings up the next part.

2 - We need a tool bar button to control turning shadows on and off for both modes. Opening the panel for this over and over is an unnecessary slow down for such a simple fix as a tool bar button. Just to easily toggle the shadows on and off to spin OpenGL would be great.
Rick Thompson wrote:1 -We need to control the on/off switch for OpenGL and Internal independently.
Rick:
How do you switch engines? View> 3D View Mode> "engine" ?

"Internal 3D Engine" and OpenGL Engine" can be added to a custom toolbar or a keyboard shortcut.

I'm still on AC13, but can image your wishes would be an advantage in 14.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-07-18 at 9.46.23 AM.png
I use the tool bar buttons too. If the shadow on/off switch were independent of each other there would not be an issue, or if you could quickly turn shadows off from the tool bar that would be the best (well, both would be the best:), but having to constantly open the pallet to access this on/off switch gets old when your spinning around a lot.
Rick Thompson wrote: 2 - We need a tool bar button to control turning shadows on and off for both modes.
A complete set of buttons to control!
That is, the more button for textures, hatching, transparency, and X-ray :wink:
Attachments
2010-07-19_0043.png
2010-07-19_0043.png (13.58 KiB) Viewed 8590 times
Last edited by Valery W on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMA_80 wrote:I find the Revit way to enable shadows to be really intuitive !
Not sure why that is more intuitive? Two clicks instead of the current 3 in AC, vs the single click button like Rick wishes for, and Valery illustrates (with a SketchUp toolbar). ;-)

Cheers,
Karl
In addition to Rick's requested button, I would also like it available in the right-click context menu when the 3D window is the active window.
By TMA_80
Karl Ottenstein wrote:
TMA_80 wrote:I find the Revit way to enable shadows to be really intuitive !
Not sure why that is more intuitive?
In the sens that it is where i expected it to be...

When i first tried AC14 i thought "the enable shadow option" to be available on the viewport ( i do however prefer the one button option à la Sketchup ) :wink: