The Global Archicad Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

Modeling (Wall, Door, Window, Roof, Stair...), Favorites...

Moderators: Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, ejrolon, Barry Kelly, gkmethy

What's your opinion about this wish?

Essential (5)
83%
Important (4)
15%
Average (3)
No votes
0%
Not important (2)
No votes
0%
Not needed (1)
2%
By Stephen Dolbee
I would love to be able to add detail to a roof edge-fascia, drip edge, etc. Also to thicken the edge of a slab (monolithic). Anyone else?

Steve
Last edited by Stephen Dolbee on Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Donald Mac Donald
I have found that you can do this with the tools already in archicad as long as the roof edge is horizontal. What i do is to end the main roof at the exterior edge of the ext. wall and then add a perimeter roof of the same slope but thinner and then under that model soffitts/facias as required with the slab tool. I work betwen the section and plan window and you can very easily get everthing dead on. The issue becomes the sloped rake side of a roof with non retangular shapes than the roof tool cannot create. Then things get complicated and slow down.

donald mac donald
By Dave Jochum
I think one of AC's biggest shortcomings becomes apparent when one tries to accurately model roof edge conditions (eaves, rakes, etc.) of any significant detail. For a program "by architects, for architects" the existing tools are woefully wanting. While I agree with those asking GS to place the highest priority on cleaning the bugs from existing tools, I would put this at or very near the top of my list for new features wishes.
By Stephen Dolbee
I have done as Donald suggests on some jobs (with vert. fascias). Even bought a cornice maker from Objects-on-line. Still a very tedious and time consuming process.

Steve
By Laci Neda
Added to wishlist:
-Associative profiles to the edges of any construction elements
Last edited by Laci Neda on Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Djordje
Stephen Dolbee wrote:I have done as Donald suggests on some jobs (with vert. fascias). Even bought a cornice maker from Objects-on-line. Still a very tedious and time consuming process.
Did you try GDL Toolbox for non-horizontal elements? It can work just like Profiler, BUT the points of the path can be anywhere in the space.

Quite a helpful tool!

HTH,
By Karl Ottenstein
Laci Neda wrote:Added to the wish (in the wishlist) of:
-Associative profiles to the edges of any construction elements
Oooo. That would be soooo nice. :D

Karl
By Stephen Dolbee
Thanks Laci,
It's nice to know you're listening.

Steve
By Stephen
(Is this thread too old? Should I list this wish again?)

I can not emphasize enough you how important this feature is. I certainly have appreciated all the improvements with each Archicad release, but I have waited for update after update for more control over roofs, only to find with each new release that this need has not been addressed

You can see here what the latest version of the less-expensive Vectorworks offers in this regard:

http://download2.nemetschek.net/www_mov ... /Roofs.htm

Please make the roof tool to work like you would actually build the roof with rafters or trusses - with the ability to change the rafter height at the eaves and to specify soffit and fascia details.

Thanks